Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #1 
Deanna01

Feed if spawning is taking long?

Hi, all. I let my female out of her jar about 24 hours ago, and spawning still hasn't happened. Should I put some mosquito larvae in the spawning tank for the pair?
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #2 
Deanna01

Oh, I put some in any way. They seemed to appreciate it. Courtland has worked himself silly building such an extensive bubble nest and was hungry. He's still scaring the death out of the female, though (I don't blame her--he really is a big boy), and mating still hasn't happened. I'm not sure if I have done something wrong with setting up the spawn tank, or if these two virgins just don't have it figured out yet.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #3 
Myates

I feed sometimes.. depends on the pair.. if I know they will take a while, or if the male is one of those ones who never stop going I'll toss in a little food. If I know they are quick spawners then I don't worry about it. But generally people don't like to feed due to waste being built up in the fry tank when you want the water as perfect as possible. But it's your choice.. just be aware the more you mess around with them/tank, the longer it will take and the greater the risk the male will eat the eggs.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #4 
Deanna01

Yeah, it's hard for me not to check in on them because I'm worried about the girl getting killed after they mate, but it would probably be better if I just left them utterly alone for 12-hour periods or so.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #5 
Myates

Usually after breeding the female will go as far from the male as possible and stay away. The male may come towards her and try to nip at her, but he will quickly go back to the nest. The most dangerous time is prior to breeding. I tape a dish cloth to the front of the tank, leaving about an inch on top so I can peek in and see what they are doing without them noticing me. If I can't see them then I'll lift a side corner.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #6 
Deanna01

Thank you! I may have to do that. I checked on them again just now, and she is just still hiding in the java moss where he can't get her. Sigh. He keeps going over and staring mournfully at her, but it doesn't help.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #7 
Myates

lol oh I know that look of "but.. why not?" from both males and females :P Have my black boy (in my avatar) who snubs 99% of females I introduce him to.. even when the girls are under the nest going.. "pretty please???". Just give her some time, she's building up confidence to breed.. she wants to make sure he isn't going to kill her.