Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #1 
Genesis

Help me determine what killed Tony?

Some background info on the past few weeks, before I fill out the list of questions: Back in May, I got a massive infestation of black algae. I cleaned as much as I could, and it came right back. So we went out and bought a very small gold inca snail, and I kept it in a separate tank for about a week before putting it in with Tony. The snail and Tony had been sharing a tank for 4 weeks with no problems.

The black algae was gone for awhile, and then came back with a vengeance (and my filter suddenly stopped working) last week. So I broke down the tank again, tossed his silk plant (because it was the only plant in his tank covered in it), and rinsed out everything with extremely hot water. Refilled his tank, added him back in once the water cooled a bit, and things were fine.

Well, last night when I came home, he was vertical. So I got his cup, scooped him up, and floated him in some water overnight, thinking he might have had a problem with his swim bladder. This morning, he was dead.

The only sign of anything wrong that he displayed was very sudden deterioration of his fins, that I am 100% positive wasn't there yesterday morning or last night. He ate like his usual piggy self, and was swimming around and flaring and everything.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3g
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No; temperatures on both of my tanks are monitored by thermometers at the moment.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A very smaill (<1 inch) gold inca snail.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta Floating Mini Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Everyday, 2 pellets. I skip one day once a week.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice in the past couple of months.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All of it.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Sudden extreme finrot.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Suddenly clamped, would not eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night; they weren't apparent yesterday morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, Tony has never been ill
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe 2 years. I just bought him less than half a year ago.

Also, a side question: Can a gold inca snail be added to a healthy pond, does anyone know? I might not be getting another betta for a bit (planning to do a complete break down of the tank, and need to pick up some new silk plants), and I'd hate to leave him just sitting in there when there's a whole pond outside he could live in.

Last edited by Genesis; 07-05-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry for the loss. When you emptied & completely cleaned his tank you would've killed off all of the BB. Were you testing the water daily for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? Water changes need to be done at a minimum once a week, especially in a 3G tank. When a tank is newly set up water changes may need to be done every day or so based on test results. I suspect BB was killed off with the intensive tank cleaning, ammonia built up due to lack of water changes & he died from ammonia poisoning. As for the snail, its usually illegal to release them; most likely you wouldn't get caught but its not something I would suggest or do.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #3 
Genesis

It's our private pond, not a public one. We dug it ourselves, and it's in our yard, with our fish in it. I should have specified, sorry.

I was doing tests, but I can't remember what the last results were. I hadn't had the time to test this week. As for the bacteria bloom, I think it... I'm not even sure how to phrase it? "Came back"? Within the first day, it was clouding the water up again, then went back to being clear. But it is still possible for it to not... come back, I supposed. I have no idea how to phrase that, sorry. lol
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote