Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #1 
LittleDeer

Most Efficient Critter Keeper Set-Up

Hey guys, so I've decided that getting two of the 3gal critter keepers will be the most cost and space efficient way to house two of my new girls. I don't know how well they work, but I do know a lot of people use them for Bettas.

I was just wondering what the most efficient and low cost set up would be for the two critter keepers for a single female Betta in each. I would like to have filters and heaters in both and I would also ideally like to use a couple live plants. I am not sure what to use for lighting though. Also, what is the best substrate to use. I don't know how well gravel does in plastic containers. Will it get all scratched up inside? I do have a ton of gravel I use that is very old and worn very smooth with age and having been used many times over the years, but I'm still I tried it may damage plastic or be too heavy or something. Though I've never used substrate like sand, so I don't know how to keep sand clean or if plants do okay in it. I just want all my girls needs to be met so they can be comfortable without spending a fortune since money is limited for me right now.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #2 
Seki

Are you sure you don't just want to get a 5 gallon and divide it for them? Then you only need one filter and one heater, which would keep costs down. :) 2.5 gallons in my minimum permanent living space for one fish, so IMO they'd be fine in there.

I have never had a critter keeper, though, so don't take my word for anything related to them. I just know they come in 5 gallon sizes and it seems to me that might be your best option. ^_^
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #3 
LittleDeer

I suppose that would work, I just want to make sure they have enough space to themselves. And I'm not find of the way divided tanks look, especially since I would be going the craft mesh route, but it would certainly be cheaper. I just have limited space, because they have to go on a shelf and that shelf is only about a foot high. The two 3 gallons would fit perfectly and they would have enough room, but the five gallon would still give them decent room but I could spend more money on better food and live plants. Maybe I'll try dividing. Although critter keepers have a slight slope in the sides of the tank (I have a mini one I use for a hospital tank right now) so I the divider will be awkward and I'm worried they may get at eachother. Though they are right next to eachother right now in small tanks and ignore eachother for te most part.

Anyone have tips on dividing critter keepers? I do not want a permanent divider, so I don't want to glue it in place.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #4 
Skyewillow

my males are kept in KK's. I use gravel or sand, this is a great little filter for small tanks.

The 3 gallon is a pretty decent size, I think. Hydor has mini heaters that are pretty efficient too.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #5 
Viva

Kritter Keepers aren't meant to hold water so I wouldn't get the 5 gallon one because they easily crack (I think that's the extra large version). 5 gallons of water is about 45 pounds of weight and the plastic isn't very thick. I have the Medium (~1.75 gallons) and Large (~3.7 gallons) KK's and they work pretty well. I still am very careful when the large one is full. Actually the large one was delivered with a crack already on the bottom corner, and I had to use silicone to seal it. A Hydor 7.5 watt heater should be enough but they sometimes overheat the medium KK I have to like 86 degrees (depending on room temp).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote