Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #1 
TexasBettaGal

Some advice please!

Hi,

When I was younger I had a large tank with all sorts of tropical fish and took care of them for many years, but when I moved I had to give my tank and all the fish away . Recently I wanted to start keeping fish again so I researched bettas and my sister and I each got a male betta from the same pet store. Mine is in an 2.77 gallon tank (I know its not big enough but I am going to upgrade soon). My fish seems happy enough, he's active and colorful and is showing no sign of stress or illness but he is being a very picky eater(which I know bettas can be, but I'm worried still). I have been looking around and I know most people say it takes a while for bettas to settle in their new home, but I've had him for a week and there's been no sign of improvement and I'm getting a bit nervous. I'm trying to feed him Aqueon betta food but he's just not taking it.
Also, could someone advise me on how often I should do water changes and how much I should take out, I did one yesterday where I took out about 15% and then replaced it with water. Is it better to add the water treatment directly to the new water before putting it in the tank or put the water in the tank and then put the water treatment in?
Thanks for your help!
TexasBettaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Hello, and welcome to the forum. (:

If he's active and bright, I'm sure he's not sick like you said.. He's just settling in. (: It might take another week or so, but he should be fine. If he won't eat your Aqueon pellets, I suggest New Life Spectrum or Omega One. They are both high quality brands; and NLS has garlic in it, which enhances the flavor and smell. You can also add garlic juice to your Aqueon to enhance it as well.

As for the water changes, I recommend 2x 100% water changes per week. It's better to add the water conditioner in the new water before you add it in the tank. Your fish would feel the chlorine which will poison them. ._.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

For a 2.5 (2.77 is close enough), you should do one 50% and one 100% (or three 50%) water changes a week. Honestly, 2.5 and above is lots of room for a single betta as long as the care is adequate, you don't have any need to upgrade but as a rule of thumb a bigger tank is better.

Instead of aqueon, try feeding new life spectrum or omega one pellets. These have less filler, are higher in protein, and are usually more appetizing to the fish.

It is better to add the conditioner to the water and then pour it in.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #4 
countyrd419

Good afternoon TexasBettaGal. I am wondering if your tank water is too cool for your betta fish. Remember betta fishes are tropical fish. They need to be in water that is at least 75 - 82 degrees. If your tank has a light, I would put it on too, the extra heat it gives off might make him feel better. I know when I put my tank light on, Rusty just flares and swims away. I hope my suggestions help you out. I am sure other owners will post to you as well.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #5 
TexasBettaGal

thanks for all your help! when I do 100% water changes should I take my betta out and put him in a small container? Also, I do think he is a bit cool because the air temperature is about 74. I am trying to get a heater and some different food this afternoon
Old 07-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, and slowly acclimate him to your main tank afterwards.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Welcome to the forum! And if the Betta in the avatar is yours, he's beautiful.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #8 
TexasBettaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Welcome to the forum! And if the Betta in the avatar is yours, he's beautiful.
yes that is my fish! Thank you very much! His name is Tom Cruise, my sister got one at the same time and her's is named Brad Pitt, its an inside joke we have :)
Old 07-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I think a lot of people have an inside joke over those two.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, food, help me, male, tank