Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #11 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
mybabyjets: The clutches are pretty small. They only contain probably 10-15 snails. They may contain more, it's kind of hard to tell. The clutch I hatched out before was much larger. Actually, they might have 25-30 snails, because my other clutch was probably 3x the size of these.

I would be happy to throw in some baby snails. There are a lot of them. I was looking at my tank last night, and there might be more than 70. The baby snails still need a few more weeks though. They are fairly tiny, but I wanted to make sure that people who were interested could claim what they wanted and I had homes for them as soon as they're ready to go.

ETA: In a 7 g that is stocked with 4 fish, I would only put one snail. It's little overstocked with 4 fish and a snail, but since you have live plants I think it would be okay.

Agreed! I was horrified when we accidentally got snails on a plant. Now I have them in every tank in the house and about 5 different species and climbing. My next are going to be Different color ramshorns and More Orange Poso to join the one that I currently have. They are just funny amazing creatures.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Agreed! I was horrified when we accidentally got snails on a plant. Now I have them in every tank in the house and about 5 different species and climbing. My next are going to be Different color ramshorns and More Orange Poso to join the one that I currently have. They are just funny amazing creatures.
I LOVE ramshorns. They are my most favorite snail. I was both excited and sad when I found an empty ramshorn shell in my tank. I didn't even know it was there, but I thought there might be more. I've never seen another one though.

titolatino1970: I think all the clutches are claimed at this point, but if anyone changes their mind I'll let you know. At this rate though, they've been laying a clutch every few weeks. So I'll expect another soon (so you can have it if you want it). I need to sex the adults and separate them, but I haven't had the time.

I'm going to try to get some pictures tonight of at least the adult snails so you can see what they look like. I hope to get some of the babies too. It's hard to see them because they're all so tiny.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #13 
mybabyjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
I think what I've heard for mystery snails is 1.5G each.

But keep in mind, all such numbers are for an adult. You'll be able to put your tiny babies together for a few months and then you'll need to upgrade them. So long as you DO upgrade them when they need it, you'll be ok.

Be warned, inverts are addictive! We have a snail tank .. and a snail bowl, each with just a couple of mosquito fish for mosquito control ... and we're setting up another. Each with a different kind of snail. They are very soothing to watch, with their funny little faces.
im taking a clutch and 5baby snails, and i was planning on setting up a snail tank with the ones that wont go in my other tanks...so i was wondering how you do that? how often you change the water, and what you put in there?
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #14 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyjets View Post
im taking a clutch and 5baby snails, and i was planning on setting up a snail tank with the ones that wont go in my other tanks...so i was wondering how you do that? how often you change the water, and what you put in there?
It all depends on the tank (and how many you have in there) as to how often it needs changed. What size will your tank be? If you can, I would get a 10 g.

You don't need a heater, unless you are wanting them to breed. My snails did not start breeding until I put a heater into the tank, and I've been told by friends with snails if their tank stays in the mid-low 70's they don't have matings. I have an ADF in there with them, that's why they got the heater.

You do need to make sure you have a good solid top. They do come out of the water sometimes, and you don't want them crawling out of the tank.

Mystery snails do get fairly large. My largest is about golfball sized. So keep that in mind.

As for decorations, I do recommend having a couple caves or something they can go under or into. Mine really seem to like the fake anacharis plant I have in my tank. That's actually where all the babies are chilling. They all are living in the fake anacharis plant.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #15 
mybabyjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
It all depends on the tank (and how many you have in there) as to how often it needs changed. What size will your tank be? If you can, I would get a 10 g.

You don't need a heater, unless you are wanting them to breed. My snails did not start breeding until I put a heater into the tank, and I've been told by friends with snails if their tank stays in the mid-low 70's they don't have matings. I have an ADF in there with them, that's why they got the heater.

You do need to make sure you have a good solid top. They do come out of the water sometimes, and you don't want them crawling out of the tank.

Mystery snails do get fairly large. My largest is about golfball sized. So keep that in mind.

As for decorations, I do recommend having a couple caves or something they can go under or into. Mine really seem to like the fake anacharis plant I have in my tank. That's actually where all the babies are chilling. They all are living in the fake anacharis plant.
thats good, yes i am getting a 10gallon and i will not put a heater in there now that i know this, and oh does it need to be filtered? and i have like 7fake plants i dont use so thats good:)
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #16 
NeptunesMom

Name:  babies.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  29.8 KB

Here are two of the little guys.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #17 
mybabyjets

awe so cute