Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Is it ok to mix cory cat species/types

My LFS has some cory cats. I was looking at Peppers but he only has three. He has some other types when I asked (the owner) said he's fine with mixing species/types he's never had problems with aggression and 80 degrees would fine temperature wise. Does anyone have experience with this?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #2 
LittleDeer

You can mix species without aggression, but they probably won't shoal together. I have one of a different species than my other four because I didn't know this when I first got them. I plan to get more of the same species for the lone guy since he won't shoal with the others, but I'm having trouble finding more of his species. My other four are all Melanistius Cories.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

^+1 yup, no aggression at all usually. And yes 80 degree's is fine, they do prefer lower temps but they can tolerate them. The thing with higher temps with all fish is that it speeds up their systems which can sometimes lead to shorter lives so that would be the only thing that would really not work well. I've had my dainties in my 33 for 5 months and I did lose two in the last two weeks and I'm pretty sure that it was because my tanks are getting up to 85-86 in this hot summer weather so that doesn't help. And then my pH is at 7.6 which they prefer softer waters.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

As the others said, it's perfectly fine. (:

To add, the higher the temperature, the faster their metabolism. So that would speed up their life span and also make them poop more. Which means you need to feed a little bit more.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #5 
registereduser

The thing I have learned about cories is don't put them on black substrate or they will turn darker. I have pandas on black sand and they don't look very panda-y any more
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDeer View Post
You can mix species without aggression, but they probably won't shoal together. I have one of a different species than my other four because I didn't know this when I first got them. I plan to get more of the same species for the lone guy since he won't shoal with the others, but I'm having trouble finding more of his species. My other four are all Melanistius Cories.
What species is your loner? My lfs had 4-5 species. Plus Dr. Foster had about 10 species. They had a type that was orange that costs $20.00 each.
I wish I could afford six of them.

I try to keep my tanks at 79 to discourage negative bacterial growth. This is the highest acceptable range I've read for catfish. I was interested in Peppers because I read they had the highest acceptable temp range. Some only like it as high as 72. The longest I've ever had a cori live was two years in tank I had years ago.

I do want them to shoal as I think that is really neat to watch.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #7 
Senshine

I have four 'peppered' cories, 2 panda cories, and 2 julii cories. They do seem to stay with their own species instead of shoaling all together but they all get along great. If I had to go back and choose just one species, I would pick a shoal of julii as they seem more outgoing and active :)
Senshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #8 
LittleDeer

My lone "guy" is a Bandit Cory. Don't know if that's the "orange" species you're talking about, but he does look orange in a certain light and that's why I got him. Though he wasn't marked as a Bandit, so I got him at the same price as the first Melanistius I got with him ($5 each). I'll get some eventually. I'm thinking I may ask if my LFS could special order 3-4 of them for me depending on how much it would cost. Though I would need to use a another tank, since I can't fit 2 shoals in my ten gallon. I'm already a little overstocked in there. For now, he's doing okay and overall healthy and active. I just feel a little bad. Half the time, the Melanistius I got at the same time as him stays with him instead of shoaling with the others. So I guess they can actually bond with other species. ( and yes, I can tell the difference between all my Cories, even though they all look very very similar. They have spots in different places :))

+1 to getting Juliis, my friend has a bunch of Juliis and they are really active and interesting to watch, even during the day sometimes. All my Cories stay hidden during most of the day. Though any Cory species you get will be great. But the Julii's do seem more outgoing and active. If I had more/bigger tanks I'd get some Juliis. Though getting more Bandits would be a priority right now.

Last edited by LittleDeer; 07-05-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #9 
peachii

Aquabid had the orange guys on there for less than 20.00 a piece - if I remember right with shipping they were maybe 5.00 a piece (so long as you got 6 of course). The orange ones are wild caught out of Florida. I also wish I had some of them and some of the Long fin cory. Stone fell in love with the long fin cory so we will probably wind up with some of those when we have some extra money to throw on them.

I have Albino, bronze, peppered and will have pygmy later this month thanks to a friend. The bronze I got at Wal-Mart, they sell "mixed" lots of fish, never seen bronze in a LFS to get more of them. We have the most of the Albino plus 7 babies that I successfully hatched from a spawn. Check Petco/Petsmart often enough and they put the peppered/albino and emerald on the 1.00 sale frequently but never seen the julii on sale. With enough time, we plan to have quite a few more species of cory as they are my favorite fish right behind bettas for now.

So you can choose from random colors once a week when the fish shipment comes in at Wal-Mart. Same with algae eaters, if you check often enough and know what to look for, you can find true Siamese Algae Eaters for less then 4.00 a piece - just takes time.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #10 
LittleDeer

The LFS I go to usually has a bunch of albinos (I'm not find of Albino fish, though), as well as Emeralds and Bronzes, and they had a shoal of maybe 10 young Juliis the last time I was there. But I have never seen another one like Watson (my lone guy). Though I think Watson may be female due to his body shape and proportions, but I'm not sure. Not that it really matters. There's another shop I've been to only once that's a bit further away. I was looking for more Bandits for Watson, but they had none. They did have about 50 half inch long baby Pandas, though. They weren't for sale yet but they were absolutely adorable.