Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #1 
MelanieComb

Unhappy Scales sticking out!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do!!!!!!

So I posted here a few days ago seeking advice about my betta, Clark, and never received any kind of response, but he's worse now! Two weeks ago he started swelling up on his left side, and a couple of days ago I started seeing white fluff and string-like things in his poo, so I suspected internal parasites. I won't be able to get that medicine till tomorrow, so I dissolved 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt in a cup of treated water and added it to his tank last night.
NOW HIS SCALES ARE STICKING OUT!
I'm terrified, but the scales are only raised in that swollen spot on his left side, nowhere else! Does that mean it isn't dropsy?? Should I change his water and not add aquarium salt?? I don't even know for sure if he has internal parasites or not because no one responded to my earlier post, but please for the love of all things betta, HELP ME!

I feed him Top Fin color enhancing betta bits during the week, fast him on saturdays, and give him of a pea on sundays. Occasionally I'll give him a tetra brand sun dried brine shrimp. He's in a 1 gallon tank, his heater keeps the water between 72-74 degrees. I do partial water changes a couple of times a week and total water changes every other week so I can clean the tank. I use AquaSafe conditioner to treat the water.
After his side got swollen I gave him an epsom salt bath and fasted him for two days before giving him the pea. Other than the swelling, he acts like he's healthy. He still swims pretty actively, but when he rests, he tends to tilt with his head down and toward the swollen side. What do I need to do?!?!

This is when I started noticing stringy poo

And this is a picture I just took with his scales raised over that swollen side
MelanieComb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #2 
darkangel

I think you should try to get a broad antiparasite as soon as possible. I know that petsmart sells general cure by API which has really good reviews.

how fast did this happen? sometimes bettas can get tumors but they are usually very slow.

can you raise his temperature at all? Bettas are best kept at 78F-80F! Aq. salt will help prevent 2ndary infections so keep the 1/2 tsp per gallon.

I see you have gravel, if your tank is only 1 gallon, I think you should remove the gravel and do a barebottom, they can collect a lot of guck. you should be doing 100% wc, partials aren't good in small tanks.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #3 
MelanieComb

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
I think you should try to get a broad antiparasite as soon as possible. I know that petsmart sells general cure by API which has really good reviews.

how fast did this happen? sometimes bettas can get tumors but they are usually very slow.

can you raise his temperature at all? Bettas are best kept at 78F-80F! Aq. salt will help prevent 2ndary infections so keep the 1/2 tsp per gallon.

I see you have gravel, if your tank is only 1 gallon, I think you should remove the gravel and do a barebottom, they can collect a lot of guck. you should be doing 100% wc, partials aren't good in small tanks.
My boyfriend picked up Parasite Guard from PetSmart yesterday and is going to bring it to me tomorrow, is that a good one?

The swelling actually happened rapidly, over the course of 3-4 days! He's still eating like a little piggy, and I actually saw a relatively normal poo from him a few moments ago, so other than the raised scales he seems to be doing better... But I'm so scared about it.

The heater is automatic, so I can't raise the temperature... I've been thinking about investing in a new one because this one used to keep it warmer than it is now.

Wow, I didn't know partials were bad for small tanks. How often should I be doing full changes if I don't do partials?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #4 
Perry the platypus

I agree, and maybe feed him a pea less often, maybe once every two weeks and make sure to feed him a small portion of the pea to avoid constipation. (Sounds like he does have internal parasites ) And you should be doing 100% water changes once every week.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #5 
darkangel

if it happened so fast, its probably not a tumor so its probably parasites :(

Tetra parasite guard right? I think they are very similar to jungle's parasite clear. I used jungle's fungus and parasite clear on my own betta and it worked for me. make sure you treat for at least a week or more, I did a little research about internal parasites and all the forum threads I read kept saying you have to treat for a long time, try 14 days.

you can do a 100% water change every 2-3 days to make sure its ammonia free. is possible for you to save up for a bigger tank by any chance? you can get a 2.5 gallon from petsmart for $16 dollars and you can get a adjustable 25w heater for it. I have the elite one and it worked really well, I keep my betta at 80F. you also just have to do 100% water changes every week instead of a every 3 days for 2.5
Old 07-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #6 
MelanieComb

Quote:
if it happened so fast, its probably not a tumor so its probably parasites :(

Tetra parasite guard right? I think they are very similar to jungle's parasite clear. I used jungle's fungus and parasite clear on my own betta and it worked for me. make sure you treat for at least a week or more, I did a little research about internal parasites and all the forum threads I read kept saying you have to treat for a long time, try 14 days.

you can do a 100% water change every 2-3 days to make sure its ammonia free. is possible for you to save up for a bigger tank by any chance? you can get a 2.5 gallon from petsmart for $16 dollars and you can get a adjustable 25w heater for it. I have the elite one and it worked really well, I keep my betta at 80F. you also just have to do 100% water changes every week instead of a every 3 days for 2.5
Yes, it's Tetra parasite guard. Question though, it says that each tablet works on tanks up to 5 gallons, so should I split the tablets into smaller pieces to use them or is it okay to use a whole one?
I might look into that, 16 dollars isn't bad at all!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #7 
darkangel

Are you sure its not 10 gallons? Jungles tablets treat 10 gallons per tablet, I think tetra too.

In any case, you will need to cut them up into equal pieces to treat your 1 gallon. You don't want to over dose by like x10. What I do is, I cut them into quarter pieces, so 1 quater treats 2.5 gallons. You can try cutting the quarter into two more pieces, so 1 piece treats 1.25 gal. (A little bit over but I don't think it will hurt, you can also remove like a cup of water from the tank and replace it with fresh water if your worried.)

I dissolve my meds in a cup of water, and put 1/4 cup at a time every 15 min and dissolve all the medicine in 1 hr so you fish doesn't get lots of medicine all at once.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #8 
NickZac

Are the eyes protruding more than normal or is that just the picture? Filled body cavities can mean a few things.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #9 
MelanieComb

Quote:
Are you sure its not 10 gallons? Jungles tablets treat 10 gallons per tablet, I think tetra too.

In any case, you will need to cut them up into equal pieces to treat your 1 gallon. You don't want to over dose by like x10. What I do is, I cut them into quarter pieces, so 1 quater treats 2.5 gallons. You can try cutting the quarter into two more pieces, so 1 piece treats 1.25 gal. (A little bit over but I don't think it will hurt, you can also remove like a cup of water from the tank and replace it with fresh water if your worried.)

I dissolve my meds in a cup of water, and put 1/4 cup at a time every 15 min and dissolve all the medicine in 1 hr so you fish doesn't get lots of medicine all at once.
I think you're right about it being ten gallons, I must have been thinking of something else lol. All that sounds like a good plan, I assume I should change his water before I add each new dose?
Sorry about so many questions, I haven't dealt with this before, haha
Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #10 
MelanieComb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZac View Post
Are the eyes protruding more than normal or is that just the picture? Filled body cavities can mean a few things.
It's just the picture, his eyes are the same size as they always were when I look at him

Tags
need help now!, scales sticking out