Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #1 
BettaPrincess13

How to Combat Gill Parasites?

I've come to a conclusion that my Betta has gill parasites. I'm guessing Gill Flukes.

Symptoms:
-Darting
-scratching against decor and gravel
-gills look swollen and red
-twitching
-lethargic
-heavy breathing
-constantly up in the surface for air

I have AQ salt but does anyone know how much to put in to the 1 gal hospital tank? the exact procedures? and do I need to QT my 10 gal now for cyst or anything? if so how?

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 07-05-2013 at 07:31 PM.
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #2 
darkangel

why don't you try a broad anti-parasite? A couple ones I can think of are general cure by api, jungle's parasite clear, tetra parasite guard and seachem paraguard which is like super wide range, it covers bacteria and fungus too.

1 gal can use about 1/2 tsp of aq. salt

your 10 gallon, is it cycled?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #3 
NickZac

For gill flukes, praz is the preferred med and from what you have said, it sounds like flukes. Are the gills flared and the fish gasping/breathing heavily? If so, pure prazi will handle it quickly. Some meds combine acriflavine, praz, metronidazole, and an agent to increase solubility...these medications are very safe and impact the biological filter a lot less than older treatments used for this purpose. Acraflavine is more toxic than metro and praz, but still safe...however, if you are confident that it is gill flukes, there isn't really a reason to use other medications unnecessarily. If you are using praz only, treat the entire main tank given it is such a safe med and will ensure other fish do not develop flukes. Dissolving it in a drop or pure alcohol increases praz's sensitivity.

Many parasites have developed a resistance to salt in which higher concentrations need to be used which may not be safe for fish, especially if they are already stressed.

Increasing temp is also important as it speeds the fish' metabolic rate, boosts the immune system, and speeds the life cycles of most parasites. Depending on the parasite, less light will also be helpful.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #4 
BettaPrincess13

Yes it has live plants and a filter I've been doing the cycling process for a little over a month now

I could try picking one up tomorrow. I've been told to try salt treatments first before using any harsh medicines but he looks miserable so at this point anything that will cure him quickly ):

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 81 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, fast on saturdays

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? StressCoat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:7.5
Hardness: ---
Alkalinity: ---

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? N/A
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Darting, Flashing, Twitching, constantly goes up for air, lethargic, lays at the bottom of tank a lot
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week ago, they got worse
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes, internal parasite
How old is your fish (approximately)? about a year

NickZac: Im sorry I didn't see your post!! He constantly flares them and opens his mouth like he's gasping. so Paraz over Gerneral Cure by API? and he doesn't have tank mates can I just put him in a 1 gal hospital tank and then put in the med so I don't have to throw it all in my 10 gal? and should I QT the 10 gal for parasite eggs if flukes is the cause?

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 07-05-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #5 
NickZac

Salt is far more harmful to fish than most of the modern meds when dosed correctly. Further, it doesn't do a whole lot to help most diseases and if you add it and have to medicate, stress is completely turbocharged. You could eat a bottle of praz or metro and be OK. The LD50 for these meds is many fold more than the concentrations used for treatment. For quarantining new fish, Nitrofuracin Green is a much better choice than salt. Many people still use salt but there are much safer and more effective options.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #6 
BettaPrincess13

I'll go by the store tomorrow after work (hopefully he survives that long) and buy some meds for him. I saw my Pet store sells API General Cure but it found nothing for Praz or Metro on their website
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #7 
NickZac

IIRC General Cure is a mix of praz and metro. It's perfect as it's two of the most effective and yet safest medications for parasites/protozoa. They wont wipe your bio filter either like other (older) meds used for flukes.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #8 
BettaPrincess13

ok I'll go by and pick up some general cure tomorrow (: can I put him in is 1 gal hospital tank and put the meds in there? or should I put it into the 10 gal to QT the fish and the tank? how should I go about QTing the tank for parasite eggs or do flukes not do that?

thanks so much for advice!! (:
Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #9 
NickZac

My pleasure :) Ideally, treating in at least a 5 gallon tank is best for meds used as a bath. At the 1 gallon size, dosing must be more precise and the medication is deactivated quicker which may mean adjustments to dosing. The minimum tank I treated in when I bred was 2.5 but I strongly preferred 10-20 g as the medication works better and given our QT tanks were bare bottom for easier cleaning, the speed in which ammonia builds is slower.

Further, flukes are very easy to spread and the medications in General Cure will have minimal impact on the biological filter and minimal impact as far as stress goes...so IMO treating the entire tank is the way to go if you are using a med with only praz and metro. If any other fish have contracted it, the medication will kill it. Be sure you arent running carbon as the carbon will otherwise remove the meds.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #10 
BettaPrincess13

Ok so Ill use it on my 10 gal then (: it has gravel,decor, heater, filter, and plants though. is that okay? and should I still do an 80% or 100% water change after the treatment is done? what do you mean by carbons? will the meds kill any eggs or flukes floating in the water? will the meds affect the live plants or anything?

sorry for all the questions ^^' Ive never used meds before so I want to make sure everything is ok