Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #11 
NickZac

No worries. Filters often have black carbon additives to remove odors and smells...they also remove medication (and trace elements, hence my dislike of them)...when you medicate, you do not want carbon filtering or medication is useless.

Also, when medicating, a temporary bump in temp can be very helpful. Some fish I used to keep did best with certain illness when water temp was increased above 90 degrees.

A 100% wc is bad. It will over stress the fish and potentially kill the biological filter. Ideally, fish never come out of their tanks during cleaning, ever, and 50% WC with gravel vaccing are the max. The instructions probably says 25-50% after every 24-48 hours with redosing after for something like 7-14 days. At no point is there a need to do a full and complete cleaning given it will wipe out nitrifying bacteria and lead to the tank needing to re-cycle, potentially harming fish heath. After treatment, carbon can be re-added to remove any medication a 50% WC does not, or even better a filter media like Purigen.

Other components will not be affected. It will kill what it in the eggs, but only when they hatch as it kills mainly in the free swimming stage. Increased temps speed the lifecycle of parasites and also speed the metabolic rate of fish.

Even more so than normal, testing water frequently is a must too. Bad water parameters are a roadblock to healing.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #12 
BettaPrincess13

I have the Penguin bio-filter should I turn it off when medicating or should that be fine turned on?

over night I noticed his gills started to swell a bit and he's becoming bloated. and he started swaying side to side then dropped and started to breath heavy and then looked as if he were coughing. sadly I work until late afternoon so I'm hoping he can hold out until I come home with the medication.

ok I'll wait to ask more questions on medication until I have the box and have read all the instructions on there that might answer any questions I may have.

when you used general cure how fast did it work on treating your fish? and what did you do after to clean your tank of any leftover medication?

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 07-06-2013 at 06:15 AM.
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #13 
BettaPrincess13

I took out the filter cartage and put in the API General Cure into the tank. I'll change 25% every 48 hours and then add the new dosage. I feel better that he held out until I could get the meds so hopefully this will cure him. the medication treats multiple parasitic diseases so it should kill something. I also bumped the temperature up a little to speed up everything
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #14 
NickZac

I've used both medications in General Cure for tanks ranging from 2.5 gallons to over 1,000...it takes a little while for it to work because the meds kill mainly in the free-swimming stage. Difficulty breathing due to parasites that attach to gills is not uncommon. The heat increase will speed the parasite's life cycle.

The filter you have is a great filter....keep it running because if that biowheel is dry for more than a few minutes, the good bacteria on it start to die. If you use the Marineland filter cartridges rather than making your own, cut a hole in the fabric to remove the carbon inside of it.

As for remaining, when treatment is complete, a 50% water change and adding the carbon will remove all of the additional medication. Also, time does given meds added to water are only active for so long, hence the need to dose meds more than just 1 time.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote