Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #1 
Kittaliana

Exclamation My Elephant Ear Betta has a curved body..?

I "recently" got 3 betta fish, a veil tail, a double tail, and a elephant ear. All males of course. I got them around mid June.. For the past few days (and most likely longer) I've noticed that my elephant ear male's body does this weird curve thing. It's always to the same side (As far as I've noticed anyways) sometimes it's a U and other times is an S curve. I've read other threads but none were helpful to me at all.. I'm starting to get a little worried.. After my double tail male had issues (Im pretty sure he was constapated) I stop feeding them so much, because I was infact over feeding, I've only been feeding each of them 2-3 pellets per day, only once a day.. I've been doing this for about a week.. My double tail male is fine and made his first bubble nest..but my elephant ear male hasn't yet.. there's bubbles but.. maybe his bowl isn't big enough. That's another thing. My mother refused to buy tanks and said to "use what we have at home" so my elephant ear male is in the smallest shallowest little bowl compared to my other two fish :( I've still been trying to find another bowl for him at stores but I have been unsuccessful. None of my fish have heaters as I've heard is highly recommended. It's summer here and my house gets around 80-90 degrees in the afternoon (I'm not exaggerating) I've notice some of my elephant ear males water has evaporated .. I change their water once a week, the elephant ear males more often since his bowl is smaller.. He's pooping regularly, and he eats.. I can't really tell if he sits at the bottom of the bowl or not.. since it's not much of a "dive" ... I'm terribly sorry for the long post, I'm just trying to provide as much info as possible to help ..
Kittaliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #2 
Kittaliana

When I first got him he was super excited looking, constantly moving. And I'm not sure what clamped fins are (I'm going to assume that means they're stuck at their sides) his fins don't do that.. since he's an elephant ear male they kind of do the jazz hands thing at a 90 degree angle to his body,...if that helps?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #3 
Kittaliana

Oh and I'm very very new to this site, and if I can provide pictures some how I would be glad to! If someone could walk me through the process...
Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

First, welcome to the forum!

To post photos, "Go Advance," "Manage Attachments" and "Browse" if photo is on your computer. "Upload." I do this for each photo. Preview post to see how it will look. Photos do not appear in the message as you write it. You must go to "Preview Post."

Hope this helps.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #5 
Kittaliana

Oh, thank you :D should I post the pics of my fishies bent body? Or..?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Yes. People can't help if they can't see the problem. Good luck!
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #7 
Saphira101

Yes, post pictures of his bent body, and just photos of him in general. Photos of your other fishies would be good too. :)

Here is a picture of what clamped fins look like:

In comparison to unclamped:

Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #8 
Kittaliana

http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/Ki...?sort=2&page=1

I posted 37 pics of mostly my elephant ear betta, but the other 2 are shown as well.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #9 
Saphira101

Is his back always like that? Sometimes when bettas get excited they will swim around the tank really fast, curving their body as they turn. Like this:

Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #10 
Seki

I think he's okay. I saw a couple of pictures in your album where his spine was straight. Since he's in a bowl, he is probably just bending his body as he swims frequently. Does he have a healthy appetite? Is he still active? If the answer to both of those is yes, he's probably just fine. He just needs more space, is all. :)
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curved body, elephant ear betta