Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #11 
Kittaliana

He's starting to float on his side.. I freaked out and went over to him to see if he was okay and he got up and started swimming again, he was at the top of the water near one of the corners in his bowl.. Now I'm starting to worry..pre-death symptoms?
Kittaliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #12 
Saphira101

Sounds like swim bladder disease. (SBD) I'm not an expert on it, but I'd suggest making a new thread about it, so more experienced people can easily find the thread and help you.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #13 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi.... It could be as simple as constipation.

1) What do you feed him?
2) How often do you feed him?
3) How much do you feed each time?
4) When was the last time he pooped? What did it look like?
5) Does his stomach appear bloated?
6) I looked at the pictures, and it looks like sometimes he bends to the right, but other times he bends to the left. And sometimes, he doesn't look bent at all. Is this correct?

In addition to the above questions, could you fill out the form below? This will give us more information, and help people determine what's going on, and how to treat it. Answer what you can. Leave anything else blank or put NA.

------------------------------------------
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #14 
Kittaliana

1) What do you feed him? - Freeze dried blood worms and pellets, mostly pellets. They're small and brown
2) How often do you feed him? -After I realized I was overfeeding my fish I cut down to 2 pellets a day.
3) How much do you feed each time? - 2 Pellets, or 2 blood worms
4) When was the last time he pooped? What did it look like? -Yesterday
a long string with a round thing at the end. Usually they're huge balls.
5) Does his stomach appear bloated? - No
6) I looked at the pictures, and it looks like sometimes he bends to the right, but other times he bends to the left. And sometimes, he doesn't look bent at all. Is this correct? - Yes. Although he's changed since the photos. Not in a good way.

------------------------------------------
Housing
What size is your tank? - It's a bowl, square, and it angles outward making it kinda shallow.
What temperature is your tank? -No clue, I don't test
Does your tank have a filter? - No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - No
Is your tank heated? -No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, and Freeze dried blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two of the pellets/blood worms, once in the morning (in fear of overfeeding)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? -Every 3-4 days since his bowl is small, and when I notice he acts weird I just assume it's the water
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? -95%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? It's called betta safe, says it works in seconds, yellow bottle. 7 drops per liter.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I do not own any kits, my parents wont take the time to take me to a pet store.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Curved back shown in the link.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He spazzes on occasion, then he completely stops and starts floating sideways, when I first noticed was yesterday. I thought he was dead. But when I got closer he spazzed out again.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I only did a water change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No clue. Got him at Petco June 16th.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #15 
Kittaliana

I'm not so sure he could be constipated. A few weeks ago, my double tail betta was constipated. I stopped feeding him for 2 days, didn't bother with the pea thing, and he was fine. And after I had that scare, I started feeding my fish only 2 pellets/bloodworms a day. And then after a week or two his symptoms started showing. So I don't think he'd be acting weird if he was "hungry" right? At least not in the way he's acting.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #16 
Kittaliana

And he does poop, I've seen him poop at least two times that I can remember since I've noticed his weird symptoms.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #17 
Kittaliana

I uploaded a video to show you how he's acting now. http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/Ki...65467.mp4.html
Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #18 
lillyandquigly

Your bowl sounds too small, with a bowl you should be water changing every day, and 100% changes. Also bettas need heat, they're tropical fish. Blood worms cause bloating if they're fed too often, they should only be given as a treat. If your tank is smaller then one gallon, you should get a new one that is one gallon. I don't know what's wrong with him but it could have to do with ammonia, someone with more knowledge on things like that can help you. Good luck with your fish!
P.S. Things like this should go into the emergency thread, for future reference. :)
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

Petstore employees often tell people that Bettas don't have any "special requirements." However, it's important to remember that they do have certain needs. Specifically, they require:

1) Adequate room to swim

There is a lot of debate as to how much room bettas require. Some people will tell you they require at least a 5 gallon tank. Others will tell you they can survive in a 1 gallon tank if at least 3 water changes are done per week.

However, looking at your video, it's pretty clear that the tank he's in is tiny. It's maybe 2 liters (0.5 gallons). That's not large enough to keep a betta in.

Also, the larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain good water quality, which leads us to the next item on the list.....

2) Clean, warm water

All fish require clean water. Without frequent water changes, toxins and wastes build up. If frequent water changes aren't done, these toxins will eventually poison and kill the fish. (You can lessen the number of water changes required by getting a larger tank, or by adding a filter and "cycling" the tank.) You can read more about water change requirements on OFL's water change recomendation sticky.

Also, Bettas are tropical fish. They thrive at temperatures between 76-84F. For most of us, that means adding a heater to maintain the proper water temp.

3) Good nutrition

Can humans survive on junk food? Yes... sort of. But we'd be better off eating some good nutrition. The same is true of our fish. Feeding them quality foods is better than feeding them junk food.

You didn't give the name of your pellet food. However, look at the list of ingredients. Bettas, in their natural habitat, eat insects (mainly mosquito larvae). They need a high protein diet. The ingredients in your pellet food should also be proteins. (Not grains or fillers.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #20 
RussellTheShihTzu

Try feeding your Betta two pellets twice a day. Only give the freeze-dried bloodworms once a week as a treat.

I have a Betta in a temporary 1/2 gallon tank. I do 100% water changes every other day.

You might ask your parents if you can get a medium or large Kritter Keeper. If they ever buy anything from eBay, I got mine from this guy and was very happy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-s-Aquari...ht_1543wt_1271
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curved body, elephant ear betta