Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #1 
AltheaGlyndwr

New betta, floating and slime issue.

Yesterday I got a female betta and her water was filthy. I brought her home and acclimated her to the tank water and then changed her nasty water out for fresh tank water. She has been kept at 77 degrees approx since I got her.

Her symptoms are:

Floating near the top constantly clamped. She can dive down but she appears to prefer not to.
She favors her right fina nd holds it close to her body unless it is extremely important for her to use it to stay upright.
She appears to be have some kind of slime issue, there was a lot of loose slime crap in the water before but there is way less on her today than there was yesterday.
I have not tried to feed her yet, but I was wondering if I should try Daphnia first thing?

Thanks!

I was wondering if she night need some kind of salt to help her along. I don't think she's bloated, but as she's new to me I'm not sure. :/
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #2 
NickZac

Is the tank showing 0 ammonia? I would not salt.

For most conditions that cause bad slime issues, metronidazole is the preferred treatment. Some of the Mardell, API, and Jungle formulations contain cocktails with metro and are very safe.

What you have described also may say an issue with swimbladder. If so, further treatment may be needed but pictures will be important.

Slowly increasing temp will also be helpful.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #3 
AltheaGlyndwr

Yeah, that's why I was confused as to how to treat it. I don't currently have an adjustable heater but I will see what I can do about the temp. I don't have an empty tank yet... well I could make an empty one gallon to keep her in.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=215386&page=2 This is my journal and post # 11 shows what meds and resources I have and post # 20, the very last picture, shows what she is doing.

Are any of these the specific I could use for her?

API General Cure
Aquarium Salt
Epsom Salt (pure)
KanaPlex
Jungle Fungus Clear
Jungle Ammonia Clear (only for emergencies and when I know I won't be able to do that water change soon enough but I've yet to use it)
Mardel Coppersafe
Jungle Ick Guard
Jungle 5 in 1 test strip
Jungle Ammonia test strip
Flashlight
I also got API Stress Coat today. (figured I should put out this list in case I don't know that someone is good for her but you guys do)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #4 
AltheaGlyndwr

And no the tank is not yet at 0 ammonia. I wanted all the girls in Q to be used to the same water and I wanted to make the water changes for all their cups easier to temp out. I'm adding in some live plants today. None of the other girls are having a bit of a problem with the tank water, but if it would be better for this apparently sick little lady to be in totally clean water in a 1gallon until she gets better I can totally do that.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #5 
NickZac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltheaGlyndwr View Post
Yeah, that's why I was confused as to how to treat it. I don't currently have an adjustable heater but I will see what I can do about the temp. I don't have an empty tank yet... well I could make an empty one gallon to keep her in.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=215386&page=2 This is my journal and post # 11 shows what meds and resources I have and post # 20, the very last picture, shows what she is doing.

Are any of these the specific I could use for her?

API General Cure
Aquarium Salt
Epsom Salt (pure)
KanaPlex
Jungle Fungus Clear
Jungle Ammonia Clear (only for emergencies and when I know I won't be able to do that water change soon enough but I've yet to use it)
Mardel Coppersafe
Jungle Ick Guard
Jungle 5 in 1 test strip
Jungle Ammonia test strip
Flashlight
I also got API Stress Coat today. (figured I should put out this list in case I don't know that someone is good for her but you guys do)
As a general rule, slime disease is a specific protozoa called Chilodonella which is best treated by metronidazole or quinine. You are in luck, also...

General Cure is perfect...IIRC it is Metro + Praz. Safe, proven, effective, and will not harm the biological filter. Aquarium Salt, Coppersafe, Fungus Guard and Ich Guard are unnecessarily harsh, much more toxic, and not as effective. Any product with copper, formalin, malachite green, etc. should not be used as first line treatments due to higher toxicity, lower effectiveness, and longer duration of dosing. General Cure is very safe to use with antibiotics, if need be. While I do not advise it, you could eat a packet and probably not even feel bad. It's incredibly easy on fish.

KanaPlex is good medication...it's kanamycin. However, kanamycin is a narrow spectrum antibiotic which mainly affects select gram-negative pathogens. It is good for hard water and marine usage. Swim bladder infection tends to be gram pos, which it does not treat. A widespectrum antibiotic such as doxycycline, oxytetracycline, TMP Sulfa, Sulfa 4, Nitrofurazone+furan mixes, etc. is nice to have as it treats tons. Doxy is amazing and it also treats some fungi...for virtually all bacteria that affects fish, it's a good choice...the sulfa cocktails are as well which contain TMP or TMP/SMX.

Nitrofuracin Green is also popular. IIRC API makes something called Furan 2 which is the same as NG minus trace amounts of meth blue and a trace bit of sodium chloride...when made into NG, the amount used is very small relative to standard dosing and it works well on a variety of things.

If ammonia isn't 0 and pH is above 7, use of Prime or Ammolock is a must...fish don't heal well if they are in an environment with ammonia. The short term solution is something like Prime which converts to ammonium...while not a long term solution, its great for QT/treatment intervals when the biological filter is not of the single-most concern. Ideally you want higher than 77...low to mid 80s are going to boost the immune system and help kill parasites faster. Most small heaters are not adjustable tho, and 77 isnt bad although not ideal given bettas come from super warm water. G'luck!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #6 
AltheaGlyndwr

So I can take my general cure and put it in a 1 gallon tank (not a whole packet but an approximate amount needed and she'll be able to work on getting better? I haven't even used most of my meds, except the general cure, kanaplex, AQ and ES. I've never had need of the others. With one of my next paychecks I'm going to get a good adjustable heater. I don't like that the ones I have are preadjusted. I just changed her water along with everyone else, but once I get the 1 gallon empty I'll move her over there and treat her real good. :)

So what are the exact names of the less harsh but affective meds that could replace what I have eventually? I totally know where to get Furan 2.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #7 
AltheaGlyndwr

Oh and up until last night the tank was holding around 80+ but has since gone down and held around 77... I'm wondering if the heater that is in there has aquired and issue. I'm going to switch it out for a different one I have. But Salacia hasn't ever been in higher than the 77 since I just got her yesterday.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #8 
NickZac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltheaGlyndwr View Post
So I can take my general cure and put it in a 1 gallon tank (not a whole packet but an approximate amount needed and she'll be able to work on getting better? I haven't even used most of my meds, except the general cure, kanaplex, AQ and ES. I've never had need of the others. With one of my next paychecks I'm going to get a good adjustable heater. I don't like that the ones I have are preadjusted. I just changed her water along with everyone else, but once I get the 1 gallon empty I'll move her over there and treat her real good. :)

So what are the exact names of the less harsh but affective meds that could replace what I have eventually? I totally know where to get Furan 2.
Treating with smaller tanks is always difficult. Be sure the dosing equation is correct and correctly measured. With smaller tanks, you may find yourself having to dose on shorter intervals or for longer treatment duration given the medication will deactivate quicker.

With that said, from what you have described, the General Cure with metronidazole is the best bet. Both meds are very safe but the smaller the tank the closer attention should be paid to water parameters and signs of severe distress.

What heater do you have? Ideally they should not flux that much although heating smaller tanks is surprisingly far more difficult than larger ones.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #9 
AltheaGlyndwr

The two to fifteen gallon one from walmart. I figured out that the one I had in there is broken and so I switched it out for my working one :)
Old 07-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #10 
AltheaGlyndwr

It appears to me since arriving home from work 30 minutes ago that her condition has worsened and she now either looks like she is covered in white cottony spots or a bunch of nasty really thick slime stuff. Either way if she has a true fungal infection or a slime infection the treatmtent is the same. 1 tsp/gal AQ salt for up to 10 days and 100% daily water changes. If this treatment doesn't work I am supposed to use my anti fungal med.

I've got this! I'll post again with an update if/when her status changes for the better or worse.