Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #1 
Betta Rescuer

Unhappy Betta not eating?Help please!

My female 1 yr old Betta hasn't been well for 3 days and hasn't eaten.Symptoms were:Clamped fins,loss of color,loss of appetite,lethargic,easily spooked.
I treated most of her symptoms with aquarium salt and am still unsure what she had,buy today I have seen improvement.She ate a few pieces of peas that I fed her(3 tiny pin-head balls.)But it has Bern so HARD to get het to eat!Every time I feed her pellets(normal diet) ot flakes(last resort food I use),she eats it and then a after either a few minutes or a few second she spits the food out,then trys to eat it,but keeps spitting it out and then eventually leave it?!I'm so confused as to why she's doing this?Could it be apart of the unknown illness she had?I have heard Bettas spit put food when their sick.Anyway,I was so relieved to see her eat a few pieces of a pea,but obviously she can't eat peas forever!
My question is why is she spitting out her food and not succeeding in swallowing it and also,how can I get her to eat her daily food(pellets)?Thanks for any help!Any advice could possibly help!
Betta Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #2 
sainthogan

It could be a part of her illness she had. I would fast her for a while and offer her a pellet every few days just to see if she'll eat it. It will be better for her than feeding her peas. Give her time, if she's still not feeling well, she's not going to digest it properly anyway, and people are beginning to think that the peas do more harm than good in the long run anyway.
My female went 2 weeks without eating when she was sick, and was fine (this will be a year ago in September and once she was better, she gobbled up her food no problem). My male also goes several days at a time without eating (he suffers from chronic constipation and fasts himself when he's starting to get bloated).
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #3 
Betta Rescuer

Thanks sainthogan!She seems to be much better and back to her usual self despite spitting out her pellet food.I figured she mabe didn't like it,but then tried feeding her flakes and she didn't touch them either.So thank you for your advice,I will try to feed her a pellet every few days to see if her appetite is back.Thanks again for your help,it means a lot to me and my little girl
Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #4 
sainthogan

It may also help to crush her pellets when you feed her again. Maybe she's not feeling like eating anything large yet, even though she normally does.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #5 
Betta Rescuer

Thanks for your advice!I have been crushing her pellets and she seems to eat them!Yay!She at first hesitantly ate it,but now I think shes accepted her original food backThanks for your help!