Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #1 
Attica

Cherry Blossom Silk Plant?

Helloooo everyone! I've been looking for silk plants and in the pet store all I could find were like two boring ones that wouldn't match the theme I'm working toward. I then went to a craft store and found all kinds of cute flowers, but I have no idea if they would be appropriate in a fish tank? I would love to have a cherry blossom stem, but I'm trying to think of some ideas of how to keep my fish from becoming injured by a stem. Could I coat it in something? Is there anything other than aquarium sealant?

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Attica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #2 
LittleDeer

What is the stem made of? If its just plastic and silk it should be fine. I just bought a bunch of silk plants at the craft store for my girls. All you really need to do is rinse them in hot water before putting them in. Mine do have wire inside the stem part but as long as the metal isn't exposed (its covered in plastic) it should be safe.

If the stems stick out and are sharp and stiff I would either cut them back or just not use it to be honest. To my knowledge there isn't any way around it besides aquarium silicone, but it won't look nice.

Last edited by LittleDeer; 07-08-2013 at 05:14 AM.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #3 
Attica

Thank you! I wasn't even sure if plastic was okay. I had a plastic plant from the pet store in another betta tank and he may have ripped his fin on it. I'm not certain it was the plant, maybe he bit it. Either way, I'm now paranoid about plastic pieces in the aquarium.

You should definitely share a pic of yours! :)
Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #4 
LittleDeer

Well for my plants the only plastic is the stemsthat make the base and hold the leaves on. But it's also very soft plastic. But the leaves are all silk so they are very gentle on Betta fins. If the whole thing isn't plastic you should be okay. You can always run a pair of nylons over the plant to see if it catches on any part of the plant, and if it doesn't, then its safe n_n but if only the stems are plastic it should be fine.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #5 
Attica

lol imagine me at the craft store running nylons along all the plants to see if they snag
Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #6 
Attica

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, it looks like most of their floral section is 50% off this week.