Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #1 
CooperS

Question Mysterious Fin Tearing

Hi,

I got my male Veiltail betta Marlin almost two years ago now. He is kept in a 2.5 gallon tank with a grated top (chicken wire). His water is kept constant at around 78-80F. I change the water 50% every other day and 100% every third change.

His rear tail (NOT his dorsal or ventral) started ripping about two months ago now like in the picture. It would seem to get better over the course of a week or so only to revert back to a shredded look. At first I thought it was fin rot (despite no black color around the edges of the fin), so I treated him with API treatment and API stress coat for about six weeks to no avail. I have recently taken him off the treatment and use only normal conditioner now, because I didn't want the medicine to start harming him.

Then someone mentioned it may have been my plastic plant ripping his tail, so I bought a silk one about two weeks ago, but his tail continues to rip! I am really at a loss here. I have read through just about every thread about fin tearing and they all seem to be pointed to water condition. I used to only change my water 50% once a week and 100% every two weeks, but for the past several months I have been doing it as mentioned above.

Could it be that poor water conditions triggered the tear two or three months ago and it is just having trouble healing? If so, is there anything I can do to help it heal? Also, should I go back to using the API fin regrowth medicine? I just don't want prolonged use to have negative effects.

Any comments are welcomed, thank you!

Also, as an afterthought, he seems to be happy, unaffected by the tearing. He continues to eat normally and blow bubble nests.
Attached Images

Last edited by CooperS; 07-06-2013 at 12:04 PM.
CooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #2 
Corrinafishy

Is there anything else in the tank that could harm him? With anything else in his tank I suggest you do the pantyhose test, take a pair of pantyhose and rub it against the object, if the pantyhose snag or rip it will do the same to your fishes fins. I'm no expert so good luck finding out what's wrong! Hope he gets better!!:)
Corrinafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #3 
darkangel

he might be tail biting?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #4 
CooperS

Hi,

I don't think so, just a Spongebob house and a silk plant. But the thing is it doesn't seem like tearing from an object, more like shredding. But maybe it could be the Spongebob house, I've ruled everything else out. When I change his water tomorrow maybe I'll take it out and see if anything changes.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #5 
CooperS

@dark

That could be, would his fins look like that if he was biting? I noticed that the shredding never seems to go farther than a certain point on his fin, when they tail bite don't they bite their tails to a stub?

And would he still be building bubble nests if he were stressed enough to bite his tail?

Tags
fin tear