Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

how does duckweed multiply?

I had like, 2 pieces of duckweed come in with some other plants I bought. It's cute that they're like tiny leaves with tiny roots attached. But it definitely has multiplied slowly because I see random pieces here and there around my tank... so how does it multiply? They just look like individual leaves with roots? Just curious.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #2 
Viva

Not sure how it multiplies but mine grows back SUPER fast! I took about half of it out of my 10 gallon tank and within a week the entire surface of the tank was covered again. Duckweed has one single root and one leaf whereas there is a similar looking floating plant with larger "leaves" and has more than one root attached to each piece (I forget what it's called but I have both)

*Edit* The similar plant is called Salvinia

Last edited by Viva; 07-06-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu

Duckweed will soon take over your tank surface. One day you have two itty, bitty leaves and the next an explosion!

I'm slowly eradicating mine as it gets in the cracks of the driftwood, deprives other plants of light and, worse, gets all over the internal filter. It is even trying to choke out my Red Root Floaters because I got lazy about removing it.

I posted a thread a while back on how to contain floating plants to one area of my tanks and got some really creative ideas.

I agree, it's really cute, though. ^smile^
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

The weird thing is that I didn't see the first tiny cluster until 3 weeks after I got the plant that I think it came with. That was about 3 months ago and I've only seen about 6 additional small clusters since then.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #5 
lilyth88

I harvest mine once a week. By the next harvesting time, it's covering the entire surface of the water again. I don't mind it, and my shrimp love to skitter upside down through the roots.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #6 
peachii

We bought some duckweed with our first order of plants. I put it into a few tanks and decided I didn't like it. Removed it from all of them. A few months later it exploded in one tank - no idea where it came from since i did get it all out, I thought. Now it's in every tank in the house.

I have a bunch of various floaters - duckweed, greater duckweed (beautiful and better than small duckweed), frogbit, salvinia, antler fern and 1 piece of dwarf water lettuce that I hope spreads. With the exception of the small duckweed I really love all the floaters.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

i tend to that they clone themselves. the minor species make little butterfly shspes before breaking off.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #8 
darkangel

they reproduce asexually by budding.

one of the examples used my biology exam along with hydra. ^^
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #9 
Aluka

They are like the aids of this hobby. There is no way to get rid of them! I added a tiny bit to ONE of my tanks 7 months ago, regretted it in 2 weeks, and removed them all. 7 months later, they are in every one of my 9 tanks.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #10 
Viva

Yeah it's not easy to get rid of. It clogs my filter almost every day in the new sorority tank beacuse some of it gets caught in the big current and then gets sucked into and stuck in the intake.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote