Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #1 
JamieL

Severely overfed baby :(

My husband thought he was helping and fed our little fish while I was at work and seriously overfed him. He didnt realize the fish wouldnt stop eating. He's a baby, maybe 3 months old. His belly is HUGE and white and stretched. I'm really upset, I don't know how much he ate and I probably siphoned out 40 pellets from the bottom. What can i do to help him???
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you can, don't feed him until the swelling goes down and that's about it. If you can get him to flare it will exercise him and hopefully get his bowels moving but he'll be okay
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #3 
JamieL

I tried to get a pic that shows the monster stomach
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #4 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
If you can, don't feed him until the swelling goes down and that's about it. If you can get him to flare it will exercise him and hopefully get his bowels moving but he'll be okay
Thank you :( I'm having a rough time with him this week!
Old 07-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh that's fine, no worries! He's gutted but he's not severely gutted! My little baby get's like that every time I feed, doesn't matter how much I feed though, he's got a tiny stomach! But the bigger boy metabolizes so quickly that he needs nearly twice as much!

But anyway, he looks totally fine. Just fast him for the rest of the day and see how he's doing tomorrow. If he's still got this stomach tomorrow, don't feed until it shows it's going down or gone
Old 07-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #6 
JamieL

Oh man his stomach is big. He definitely fills out after a feeding, but never like this. He's pretty sluggish, but he did flare and he actually pooped while flaring, so I feel a little better. Husband is banned from fish care.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol yes that's why I wanted to see if he'd flare ^_^ mine often poop as they flare haha
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #8 
JamieL

Okay, he's much better this morning. The swelling is down and his floating log was full of poop, about 7 of them. He must have pooped all night. I'm relieved, yesterday he was doing a lot of laying on the bottom. He's begging but I think I'm going to wait a couple more hours to feed, since his stomachs not totally down yet.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup that's totally fine ^_^ glad he's better
Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #10 
mybabyjets

log

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
Okay, he's much better this morning. The swelling is down and his floating log was full of poop, about 7 of them. He must have pooped all night. I'm relieved, yesterday he was doing a lot of laying on the bottom. He's begging but I think I'm going to wait a couple more hours to feed, since his stomachs not totally down yet.
just a random thing i wanted to say, i have a floating log too, and my betta loves it, she plays it..but man it cost me 11dollers
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote