Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #1 
Sylerwin

How many corys?

I have a 10 gallon tank, filtered/heated/aerated/planted.

I usually have my male betta (though he's in a hospital tank right now) in there.
Right now I have 3 African Dwarf Frogs and 1 Salt and Pepper Cory catfish.

I originally had a juli cory, but that one died so I'm down to one cory.

I know they should be in groups, but did I buy the wrong cory? People are recommending "pygmy" cories though I don't see them at the pet store. I've read Salt&Pepper cories can get up to 1.4", if I get maybe 3 more will that be too much? I normally would try and get more right away but I'm afraid of having too many bottom feeders between my frogs and the cories and someone dying of starvation because I can't keep track of who's eating what.

My current cory doesn't seem stressed or anything and seems to be doing okay by himself... Honestly he hangs with the frogs sometimes. Should I leave the tank how it is?
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

If the salt and pepper Cory to which you are referring is a peppered Cory, then it will grow to about twice what you said - approaching 3 inches.

Yes, Corys should be in a school. However, in my opinion your tank is not large enough to accommodate a school of full size corys, so I would just leave things as they are and not get more.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #3 
Sylerwin

Yes, a peppered cory. haha sorry, I'm adopting a "salt and pepper" hedgehog, and got the name screwed up, haha. Yeah, the person at petsmart gave me misinformation on the size of the cory and what I should get. :( I'll leave it as it is, he seems comfortable with the frogs. lol
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #4 
peachii

Reading online will also give you mixed information about peppered cories as to the size, I bought 3 to go into my 10 gallon but after reading a bunch of different sites - after I read the one that said 1.4 inches, I moved them into the 29 gallon with the other cories. Disappointing really but thanks to a friend I have 10 pygmy cories coming at the end of the month. yay!

If anything I would get 4 or 5 pygmy cories and let him hang out with them, be the king of the group or something. All of my cories seem to get a long fine with each other - I have 3 colors.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote