Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #11 
marybethfh

My mom thinks I should re-name him "King Fish" but everyone on my floor knows him as "Fish." :D He's quite popular, my RA's are trying to rename him but have yet to think of anything. They named my roommate's 4 gold fish...speaking of them, her desk is behind mine and her gold fish are on the top shelf of her desk also...do you think Fish can see them? He's been bumping up against the glass sometimes, but on the sides, not the front where he would be able to see the gold fish.
marybethfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

You'll find that bettas have cute personalities. Yeah, this is a great site. There are a lot of knowledgeable, friendly people here.:)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was just going to suggest calling him King. lol Its ok if he can see the goldfish. It will give him something to keep him occupied.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #14 
marybethfh

:D I'm really tempted to put him close, not in the same bowl but close to them, just to see if the gold fish will notice. They're so oblivious to the world. I learned from reading some of the posts on the site that the reason why one of them is swimming upside down/on his side is because he has swim bladder, but my roommate also seems to be oblivious to it or just doesn't care.

Are Betta's always active? Fish swims, but he sometimes lags and floats by the bottom or by the heater or side of the bowl. He's probably just tired of swimming so much haha. But I'm still so paranoid of loosing him. He didn't look very healthy when I bought him, and he did bounce back, but I'm still (overly?) worried.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

You'll find them resting on the bottom once in a while or at the top. This isn't anything to worry about unless they do it for extended periods of time. The first time I kept a betta for a neighbor and saw her fish laying on the bottom, I thought oh, no, there's something wrong with him! Then I found out that they like to rest on the bottom once in awhile.When I was in college, I had a roommate who had a betta and 2 goldfish (in separate bowls) and she never took care of them and they died. :(
Old 03-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #16 
marybethfh

D: That's sad! I always bother my roommate to clean her water, hah she does it every two weeks I think? Oh, that' good, I guess every fish needs to rest at one point or another. I'm watching him right now, he's swimming around and enjoying himself. I used to think he'd be lonely since I can't get another fish for him to have in his tank, but the way he swims sometimes makes it look like he's entertaining himself. :D he amuses me so much, my roommate says I spend too much time watching him haha.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, they're fun to have. I have 5.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #18 
fishyinpa

Haha yeah bettas(and corys!) are very entertaining lol...i get mesmerized by all of mine then im like oh wait i was gonna go do something...:)
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #19 
marybethfh

Haha, I just finished writing part one of my take home midterm, to celebrate I watched Fish swim for something like five minutes. My mind is fired, I've been working on this essay for a week now.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

You deserve a break from all that work! lol