Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #1 
Corrinafishy

Unhappy Sick fish!

I have a male Betta which I got 3 months ago. His name is Sushi and I love him dearly. He was extremely active, always swimming. he always made big bubble nests. I have gone on vacation and he is staying with a friend of mine who has three very healthy bettas of her own, one is almost 5! Sushi has a 1 gallon tank right now, I know, I feel bad about the size but he will be getting a 5 gallon very soon. His tank is always heated with me, at my friends her room temperature is 78f and so she doesn't use the heater. Lately Sushis color has become dull according to my friend. He also has not been moving whatsoever, just lying on the bottom of the tank. Sushi also LOVES food, the second I put food in he raced up and ate it all. Now my friend has to tap of the glass for a while in till he notices, he will eat though. If anyone knows what's going on please help! I love him so much! Thanks!
Corrinafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #2 
Corrinafishy

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 g
What temperature is your tank? 78f
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not at the moment
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Dull colors
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not moving
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last few days
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? N/A
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7-8 months most likely
Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 
Bailmint

I'm not an expert at all, but it seems like this all started when you had your friend take care of him. Maybe he is just really stressed?
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #4 
Bailmint

Like someone new randomly starts taking care of him that he isn't used to? (Just guesses, I'm not an expert DX)
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Start with a water change right now. For a 1 gallon, you should be doing 3-4 water changes a week to keep the toxins from building up, especially if you have no live plants or a filter. Betta fish naturally produce ammonia in their waste, and it can build up very quickly and make them sick.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #6 
Corrinafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Start with a water change right now. For a 1 gallon, you should be doing 3-4 water changes a week to keep the toxins from building up, especially if you have no live plants or a filter. Betta fish naturally produce ammonia in their waste, and it can build up very quickly and make them sick.
Thanks for the advice:) I will make sure he gets his water changed first thing tomorrow!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #7 
Corrinafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailmint View Post
I'm not an expert at all, but it seems like this all started when you had your friend take care of him. Maybe he is just really stressed?
Must likely:( just hopping the little guy can pull through in till I get back!:(
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

+1 on what sainthogan said....

I have a few other questions:
1) how many Aqueon pellets does he get at each feeding? A betta's stomach is about the size of its eye. Is it possible that he's being overfed?

2) how often does he poop? Aqueon is a decent food, but it contains a lot of grains and fillers, which can be constipating. Some bettas do better on high protein food like New Life Spectrum Betta pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.

3) what does his poop look like? It should be similar in color to his food (red-brown). If it's not, this can indicate a problem such as parasites.

4) does he appear bloated at all? Is there any bloating around his abdomen/midsection?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #9 
Corrinafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
+1 on what sainthogan said....

I have a few other questions:
1) how many Aqueon pellets does he get at each feeding? A betta's stomach is about the size of its eye. Is it possible that he's being overfed?

2) how often does he poop? Aqueon is a decent food, but it contains a lot of grains and fillers, which can be constipating. Some bettas do better on high protein food like New Life Spectrum Betta pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.

3) what does his poop look like? It should be similar in color to his food (red-brown). If it's not, this can indicate a problem such as parasites.

4) does he appear bloated at all? Is there any bloating around his abdomen/midsection?
1. He eats about 3-5 pellets per feeding, he gobbles them up ammeditely, and he's still on the skinny side.

2. He poops severally times a day.

3. It's the same color as his food, looks normal from what ive read.

4. Not any bloating that I've seen. Possibly there was a bit when I got him but it went down I think.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #10 
shellieca

If her room temp is 78F the water temp is cooler so if he's used to having 78-80F water the cooler water maybe effecting him. If your friend has done any water changes is she acclimating him properly? Does she use the same water conditioner as you? I think they're like any other family pet, they can be stressed due to new surroundings so I think that's probably the biggest factor.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote