Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #11 
Skyewillow

I use craft mesh hammocks for mine, pieces of plastic plants, floating plants like riccia.

It could honestly be the filter current, when I upgraded Pancake's filter, he spazzed for a few days.

As for water level, that's actually fine 18" is about the deepest you want it to be, but they come from rivers. Normally, that would mean that they shouldn't have a problem with a current, but petstores tend to keep them in slow moving tanks, so he'll really need to adjust.

Caves don't always help. Mine likes to hang out in the plants. he has a cave under the driftwood, but he's usually pretending to be seaweed.

they don't have to be expensive plants either, just something he could wrap his legs into like that last photo, and just one of those would most likely make a difference. They're a prey animal in their native environment, and you have to think like a prey animal to make him comfortable.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #12 
hannguyen

That looks really awesome :) Yours doesn't look as transparent as mine. It seems like I could see under his skin...
hannguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #13 
Skyewillow

Mine is just darker. Yours could also be close to shedding or stressed, since he wasn't acting sick at all in the video.

he's actually using his cave at the moment, but his behind is sticking out. Their instinct is to kind of wedge themselves in where they can, is there anywhere that yours can do this?

Last edited by Skyewillow; 07-06-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #14 
hannguyen

I have the tiny flower pot. He used it when I first put him in but now he doesn't anymore but keeps jumping around and kicked Biscuit in the face hahaha...My fish seems confused and doesn't know why this frog keep jumping around him lol
Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #15 
Skyewillow

Poor Biscuit (squee name!!)! At this point, plants are the only thing I can really suggest to help, and Biscuit will like them too (my bettas stalk me from their plants). Replacing him won't do any good, because any other frog will act the same way in your tank without plants to anchor and hide in.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #16 
hannguyen

Yeah my boyfriend was surprised because he thought they are supposed to be shy and inactive hahaha. I will get him some plants tomorrow. I just don't have a lot of space in my tank. Biscuit really doesn't care about the frog that much hahaha but the frog has been jumping around for this past 20 minutes lol... I thought he would get tired..
Old 07-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #17 
Skyewillow

they're very shy and inactive, unless they're panicking like yours is. Most of the day, I don't see much of Pancake, unless he's hungry. He's usually holed up, or wrapped in a plant.

Even my big frogs need that little bit of security. I'm not 100% sure on why that is, but since I promised to take care of them and meet their weird needs, then I just do whatever makes them feel comfortable.

PS
I'm not trying to make you feel bad at all, I'm just pointing out that this behavior indicates stress. It's important to know what to look for, so we can meet their needs as they arise!

Last edited by Skyewillow; 07-06-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #18 
hannguyen

No problem at all...i thought I have enough stuff in my tank because he doesn't have that much stuff in the tank at Petsmart. I wish he could just calm down and go inside the cave...
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #19 
Skyewillow

Petstore conditions usually downplay an animal's natural behaviors. The conditions are generally so wrong, that they're almost lethargic. Pancake didn't even fight the net when I got him, but he was emaciated, and the water was really gross. As soon as I got him home, he was a different frog, he was looking for food.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #20 
hannguyen

Yeah he was really calm at the Petstore even though he was surrounded by 20 different fishes :( I hope he calm down soon, he is still jumping...