Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #1 
Sathori

Question I've never seen a tail like this before...?

Hey all!

I'm a n00b to this site, so go easy on me here. I have a general knowledge of betta care, but I'll admit to being far from an expert.

The pet store I work at just started carrying bettas (crowntail and "fancy" - which I think are veil tails, but our supplier calls them "fancy"). I had been thinking about getting a betta, and since this guy was so pretty, I had to take him home. I couldn't let this one sell to a random customer.

So now I gotta ask: Have you guys seen a tail like this? I've never seen a tail like his before. Is it common or uncommon? I tried looking it up online, but I don't know how to describe it lol

I apologize for the lighting in the first two photos, as it is night time here, but the last photo is in a more natural light, when he was at the store. His color is actually a pink-lavender body with lavender/blue fins. The photos do not do him justice, he has a lot more lavender than blue (iPhones don't do colors well... and I'm a terrible fish photographer ). Though the poor lighting makes his blue spot on his back very clear.

He came with the batch of "fancy" bettas, but I'm very curious what this tail form would be called, or, if it's a mutation, what it would be a mutation of. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #2 
liz26914

he looks like veil tail with damaged fins imo. but he has beautiful colors in the 2nd pic
liz26914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Imo he's a veiltail with a tear/injury. He lacks doubletail traits. Where it splits you can see clear growth, which is usually regrowth. I love his color!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #4 
Dwarden3

I agree that he is probably a veiltail with damage, but keep him in warm water and see if his fins grow back.
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #5 
Sathori

Thanks everyone. I half wondered if it was damage. He came to the store like that (I was there when we got all the bettas in) and I fell in love with how different he was from all the rest I have seen. He seems to be a happy camper though. :)
Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #6 
Sathori

On a side note, here are a few other neat colors of bettas that we have gotten in our store. Just thought I would share them.
Again, sorry about the quality/lighting. iPhone pictures... And yes, some of them are in cups until their tanks are ready.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

OMG THAT MG VT!!! oh man, if I had room for another male, he'd me MINE!!! lol Can you tell I like Mustard Gas Betta's? lol they're all so cute! Love the flare pic of the red CT boy and your boy is beautiful too! Yeah looks like he bit off his tail, xShainax had a Betta with very similar bites taken out of his tail as well.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #8 
mybabyjets

Smile this is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathori View Post
On a side note, here are a few other neat colors of bettas that we have gotten in our store. Just thought I would share them.
Again, sorry about the quality/lighting. iPhone pictures... And yes, some of them are in cups until their tanks are ready.
i love your betta pics, what store do you work at? ive seen people put the bettas in their own tank until someone bought them, most pet stores just keep in the small cup..im actually really happy that your bettas at your store will be taken great care of :) and your boy has this awesome "birthmark" haha, my female betta has like 3 blue spots on her tail.
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #9 
Sathori

As much as I'm sad that he was injured, I really love the way he looks, and the birthmark is one of my favorite parts about him - its such a vibrant blue.

I work at a Pet Valu. We use to only carry hamsters, fancy mice, and a few birds, but our area has a high demand for fish, so we brought in bettas. Since we don't have a lot of room, we put as many of them in tanks/fish bowls as possible to get them out of the cups and give them clean, conditioned water frequently. We pride ourselves as a store that does our best to care for our livestock. :) sometimes H/O is a little shocked at how much money we spend on our livestock, as we often write off products to aid a sick/injured hamster or betta. I'm currently treating a crowntail for fin rot that he had when we got him. :(
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #10 
JellOh

Wow! Kudos to you and the others working at your store. All the big chain pet stores and even a small lfs near me couldn't god two hoots about their fish or any of thei other animals.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote