Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #1 
10asartin

I believe she's developing popeye

I am pretty sure she is starting to get popeye. Her eyes look slightly swollen, she is losing her color, and is not as feisty as she had been at purchase nor is she eating. I purchased her and 5 other girls about one week ago and they are currently in quarantine and are receiving 100% WC's every other day. The water is treated with prime and is kept at 80 degrees. I have not added any meds or salts since purchase.
Let me know if you think this is popeye or something more serious.

This is a picture of her at purchase.

These are current pictures. I can upload more if needed.

10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 
darkangel

looks like popeye to me too, I would add 1/2 tsp of epsom salt per gallon. she also looks a little swollen overall in the 2nd pic.

I don't want to scare you but you might want to keep an eye on her for pineconing.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #3 
NickZac

Any issues staying afloat, issues staying too afloat, or issues maintaining buoyancy?
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #4 
10asartin

Yes, I am watching out for pineconing. However, she isn't having any buoyancy problems which is good. I am going to fast her for 2 days, and hope that the AQ salt doesn't cause he to retain too much fluid. If it does I am going to just switch over to using maracyn.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #5 
NickZac

IMHO Maracyn is a better choice than salt when issues that cause both (rather than 1) eye to pop out are possible. For swimbladder, the Maracyn with EM is good...for when both pop out, the Maracyn (I think it's Two) with Minocycline is good. It's a very safe, reliable, and consistent medication that treats a wide range of bacterial infections. It it were me personally, I would skip salt, observe closely, and depending on changes (or lack of) then dose with minocycline or something similar with wide-spectrum activity against most conditions that cause popeye which are treatable. It is not unheard of for aquarium salt to cause symptoms misinterpreted as dropsy including the changes in body cavity (with that said, it's more common for that to happen with coldwater fish like koi).
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #6 
10asartin

Well, I woke up this morning to find that she had passed. There definitely had to be other issues going on than just popeye for her to die so quickly. She began showing symptoms yesterday and was gone today.
It is things like this that show us why it is so essential to quarantine new fish for at least 2 weeks. Thankfully, my other 5 girls are still doing very well.