Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #1 
omgpuppy

Help! what's wrong with the fin?

Hi I'm a new betta owner. I noticed the fin and tail of my betta are turning white since last week, but i'm not sure if it's fin rot or other disease. Please help. I dont know exactly how big is my tank, but it should be more than 1 gallon. and I change 80% of the water every week. I feed him frozen blood worm every morning about 10 of them. he loves eating btw. every time when i feed him, he grabs worms out from my hand. when I change water for him, i put that conditioner in. I let fresh water sits over night with calcium block in it too.
Thanks.
Attached Images

omgpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #2 
NickZac

The lack of change in feeding is a plus. If you do not know the size of the tank, I would not dose with any kind of medication or additive that can be toxic if too much is dosed.

The picture looks as if it may be pH related and it may mean the pH is too extreme (fish getting really dark or pale can indicate this as well). The easiest way to tell is simply testing the water. Ammonia can also have some affects that cause fins to change colors too, so testing for this is also critical. As you noted, it could be fin rot but generally (but not always) fins fray from the edges inward and they tend to waste away sometimes in a stringy fashion. Fins that mainly change in color starting at the base does not always mean bacterial fin rot.

What is the calcium additive used for? Is the water RO or does it have issues with GH/KH or is it for plants?
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #3 
omgpuppy

Thanks Nick for your reply. the pet store told me to put 20 drops of the water conditioner and let calcium block sits in fresh water over night cuz he said the water in canada is too soft for betta. so i've been doing that since i got my betta. I got him on march 23 this year.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Please fill this out-
Housing What size is your tank? What temperature is your tank? Does your tank have a filter? Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Is your tank heated? What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food What type of food do you feed your betta fish? How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance How often do you perform a water change? What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters: Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Nitrite: Nitrate: pH: Hardness: Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment How has your betta fish's appearance changed? How has your betta fish's behavior changed? When did you start noticing the symptoms? Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Does your fish have any history of being ill? How old is your fish (approximately)?

I don't know why his fins are turning white but I wouldn't be too worried. You need to stop using calcium, most water in Canada is too hard for bettas. Bettas prefer softer water anyways. The pet store employee was wrong. Where in Canada are you?

I would also increase water changes to three times a week.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #5 
NickZac

You need to measure pH and ammonia. I believe one, or both, is the cause of the issue and the single-most important thing to do is to correct them if they are not ideal. Bettas are pretty pH tolerant provided the pH is kept stable. Like most tropical fish, they can be healthy in an environment with pH that is different from native habitats, but the pH MUST remain stable as a shift can send a fish into shock. Whenever you change water, it is critical the pH be around no more than .2-ish plus or minus the existing pH as it can contribute to illness or even shock. Because of this, doing anything with additives or meds is ill-advised because water parameters is always, always, always the first thing to check before doing anything else. Water to a fish is like air to us.

Also, is the calcium an actual fish additive? Some calcium additives such as ones for plants contain chemicals that are harmful to fish.

And if you can, bump the heater slowly (2 degrees every few hours) to the mid 80s to expedite metabolic rate and immunity, plus to decrease the chance of secondary infection.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #6 
omgpuppy

Hi Matts, I'm in vancouver. i'll stop using the calcium block right away. my betta (his name is smurfy xD) is living with a sea plant as shown in the pic above. i noticed his tail turning white couple weeks ago, but today i notice his fin on the top is turning white too and getting thinner at tips. I never tested the water. I tried to buy some different food for him, but the pet store told me bettas only eat blood worms and the frozen ones are the better than the dry ones. I feed him every morning. i'll say the tank is about 5.5L or 1.4 Gallons. and there's a heater inside the tank.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #7 
omgpuppy

Hi Nick, I'll buy some ph and ammonia tester and a thermometer. the calcium block i've been using is for fish I believe, but I'll stop using it. Thanks a lot for your suggestion
Old 07-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

New life spectrum or omega one pellets are the best foods. More protein and less filler.

When you say sea plant, do you mean a plant that you got from the ocean?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #9 
omgpuppy

lol no. it came with the fish from the pet store. i'll try to find those food in the pet store. is it normal that my betta gets so excited when he sees i open his food bag? it makes me feel he's starving to death..
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #10 
NickZac

Bloodworms are great but because they are more of a pain than pellet food, you may find feeding them as a treat is easier than every day. Bettas eat a lot more than them only, but they are right that frozen is better...less chance of disease, easier to work with, and good brands ensure they were raised as healthy worms. Bloodworms are also a good source of nutrition for a wide range of tropical fish, including bettas.

Omega and New Life are good foods as mentioned...you may find they provide more complete nutrition and are easier to feed. When you introduce them, feed the bloodworms with them simultaneously at first to maximize the chance he takes to the new food and to make a slower GI transition. A few pellets two times a day is all you need with foods which are higher density like New Life. Much like dog food, quality foods provide much more energy than the same amount of lower quality food weight-wise.

And them getting excited and going crazy for good is a very good sign as it means health. Bettas are predators and so seeing them 'patrol' a tank looking for food, lurking at the top as if they are waiting for an insect to land so they can eat it, and striking hard and fast at food are good signs. It also means pH or ammonia imbalance is more likely than a serious illness given the fishy would not display these behaviors if he felt seriously unwell.

When you get the test kit, measure water parameters in the tank with the calcium, and measure water parameters of immediately dechlorinated tap water to see if there is a big difference. That may reveal a lot in itself.