Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #11 
omgpuppy

Hi Nick, I tested the water yesterday. The ph level is about 6.4-6.6 and about 0.25 for ammonia. I felt bad that my fish was living in that condition so I changed the water completely and washed the tank. I also bought him omega one pellet. I fed him one pellet and a couple of worms this morning. He seems to take the pellet happily too. I'm wondering how long he will grow his fin n tail back to normal?
omgpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #12 
NickZac

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgpuppy View Post
Hi Nick, I tested the water yesterday. The ph level is about 6.4-6.6 and about 0.25 for ammonia. I felt bad that my fish was living in that condition so I changed the water completely and washed the tank. I also bought him omega one pellet. I fed him one pellet and a couple of worms this morning. He seems to take the pellet happily too. I'm wondering how long he will grow his fin n tail back to normal?
At that pH (under 7.0), ammonia is ammonium and it is not toxic like ammonia. It's a fine pH provided it stays stable. When I bred, most of my fish were South American Cichlids and other soft water fish, but I kept all my tanks at around 6.7 for even hard water fish, and they had no issues. It staying the same is far more important than what it is.

Has it stopped getting worse? If it starts actively getting worse or the dynamics of the wound changes (such as developing strands, getting cotton-like, goes deeper, or causes any changes in behavior) that is when IMHO beginning treatment should be done. Provided it does not get worse and starts healing, clean water that is warm and good food should be very helpful.

It's also worth noting that their immune systems generally heal damage quickly...if it does not quickly heal or stalls in healing, I would also begin treatment at that point if it were me...and the med I would use is a wide spectrum antibiotic.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote