Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #1 
Seki

Advice for reducing filter noise

I have six (omg I have a problem) tanks in my bedroom currently as our home is being remodeled and anywhere else would risk deadly dust and grime getting into the tanks, not to mention all the vibration and commotion would stress the fish. I am hoping to eventually get the tanks sort of spread out in the house again, but it'll be a while, so for the time being I have to plan on them being in my bedroom for at least several more months.

Three of my six tanks are filtered, and while the filters for two of them are all-but silent, the third... not so much. It's not an issue with the motor, it's an issue with the water return. The output make a loud water trickling/splashing sound, and I can't figure out why. The filter is an Aqueon Quietflow20, and it's in my ten gallon sorority. I have another Aqueon Quietflow10 in my five gallon and it doesn't have the issue of a noisy water return, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to fix this. Baffling won't help because the trickling water sound seems to be coming from inside the filter, not from where the water is actually returning to the tank. Plus, I need the current in my sorority to keep the girls from chasing each other too much.

The noise is driving me nuts! To the point that I want to unplug the filter at night just to get some rest, although I know I can't do that. What is a mild annoyance during the day turns into an intolerable irritation at night.

Help? Before I lose my mind?
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

That must be so annoying! My 20G makes a lot of water current noise, and that actually motivates me to do water changes and fill it up. Is the water level low? That's the problem mine has. -.- Have you also checked the input tube thingy? Mine sucked up anarachis and screwed the filter up quite a bit.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #3 
Seki

It's slowly driving me insane hahaha. Especially on those nights when I only have 4 or 5 hours to sleep.

The water level is right up at the top, I just did a water change a couple days ago when I added a new girl from quarantine. I've been keeping track and the trickling doesn't seem to get better or worse regardless of the water level.

I will check the intake tube. My live plants aren't near it, but anything is worth checking at this point hahaha. At least I'm sure it's not a fish... all accounted for! LOL
Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Good luck, you'll need it. lol And it's great everyone has a full attendance. :D I wonder what else could be wrong.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #5 
Seki

Thanks lol I'm looking into solutions. I kinda wanna play with stuffing filter sponge in there, but at the same time, I don't wanna do anything that is going to ruin my filter or jeopardize my cycle. Can't risk the lives of six fish!

Nothing in the intake, and I didn't see anything in the filter itself, either. Frustratiiiiiiing!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #6 
Flyby Stardancer

I'm not quite as sure how the normal Quietflows are set up... In the built-in one that came with my 5 gallon tank, I have the sponge I use instead of the cartridge right up to where the water pumps into the filter, so that the water goes straight onto it... Could your cartridge have shifted or not be in there right?
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #7 
registereduser

I take 3 thick bath towels and cover the tank at night, it muffles the noise really well. Maybe 4 towels if you like.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #8 
Seki

I will take the cartridge out and rinse it in some old tank water today to see if that helps at all, then reinstall. Maybe it did shift... I don't remember this noise when I first started the tank a couple months ago. Maybe I put the cartridge in wrong last time I rinsed it?

registereduser - I will try that. I used that trick when my old HOB was dying in my 5.5, but that was for loud motor noise, not for trickling water sounds. It might help, though!