Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #1 
Moonshine357

So many questions!

I bought a betta at petsmart, he has a black body with blue/green fins and gold highlights. I am considering getting more because he is a lot of fun. I would like to do a larger set up, maybe a divided 10 gallon or even a twenty? How many times can you divide a ten gallon tank? Is three the maximum? I worry that if I were to divide it three ways the fish in the middle would constantly be stressed by his neighbors.
I've never had a filtered fish tank before. How frequently does the filter substrate need to be changed? I have been debating between a canister filter and a sponge filter, which do you prefer and why?
If you have any other advice for a first time betta owner I would love to hear it.
Moonshine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'd suggest only 3 times but I've seen it split up 4 times. personally I feel like it's more of a hassle and a pain when trying to siphon out the tank.

As for stressed middle fish, after about a week or two they all get used to each other and realize that they can't get at each other and will eventually not care about their neighbors so it's really not too much of a stressor for most fish although occasionally you'll get one that's spazztastic and will freak out at any other male and may bite his own fins in 'retaliation' so you'll just have to watch out for that is all.

For a split 10, I'd suggest just a regular hang on back (HOB) filter system with a water bottle baffle like so: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139 and here's what mine looks like on my split 3 way 10 gallon: http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/li...ilter%20Baffle that way it spreads the water out to the sides, creating a pretty even flow through the tank so it spreads the heat as well. You can do that in your middle section to make it work better but I just have mine at the end with another small internal filter on the otherside facing in to create more flow in the water

And do you mean filter media? Substrate is like gravel, sand, dirt etc. Filter media are things like the cartridge, foam, carbon stuff like that that goes in the filter. And usually you don't need to change them as often as companies say you do (which is a month). I have one cartridge I've been running for about 5 months now and it's still going strong! The secret is the swish the media out when you do your weekly water change. You take out the media and swish it around/rub it in the old tank water you just took out so that it get's all the dirt/mulm/detritus out of the cartridge and it doesn't clog up as fast. And when you replace a cartridge, preferablly stuff another cartridge in there about two weeks before you take out the old one so that your Beneficial Bacteria can transfer to the new cartridge.

That's another thing, you should go to the Betta Care or the Betta Habitat section and look for the Nitrogen Cycle sticky and learn about Cycling a tank. And not the "24 hour" cycle period the stores suggest, that doesn't nothing for your tank except tells you your filter and heater are running fine >.<
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #3 
shannonpwns

Wow your boy sounds pretty! Post some pics!

I wouldn't divide a 10 gal more than twice. You can make or buy dividers that they can't see through, to limit stress. And put plants near the dividers for extra covering.

I'd prefer sponge over canister, especially if you divide a 10 gal. If you use canister, one of them will be getting all the downpour from the filter, and won't like it much.

Also, do you have a heater? Bettas prefer their tanks around 80F. And some live plants would be loved as well! But then you'd need the proper lighting for it.

If you are using plastic plants at all, drag a nylon across then to be sure that they aren't too sharp, because they will damage the Bettas fins.

:) HTH
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #4 
Moonshine357

I made the mistake of listening to the people at petsmart about the 1/4 gallon little cube tanks. As soon as I found out that I had been misinformed I put him in a gallon sized mason jar. It has a silk plant in it but there is not as much room as what I want for him. Poor guy. I really wanted him so I took him home without researching.
I'm doing every other day 50% water changes and on Sunday (that will be five days since he's been in the tank) I will do a full change and wash everything.
According to the thermometer without a heater the temperature in the tank is sitting at 78 degrees. I'm concerned about night time temperature swings. I think I am going to go back tonight and get a little heater for the night if they aren't too expensive. Pay day is tomorrow, I'm hoping to get his larger tank then. I did read about cycling and I will be sure to follow the advice.
I did mean media not substrate. I don't know why I had them confused. How do you know when its time to change the media when it looks gross?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah basically when the catridge looks like it's falling apart lol, I mean they'll pretty much look gross anyway but if you keep with a weekly swish you can do it like every 3 month's about. Of course one of my Top Fin filter cartridges fell apart after a month and I wasn't prepared for it so I stuffed some AquaClear foam in there and I had a mini-cycle but nothing too harmful thankfully and then it was cycled in a few days again so it was good, just kind of sucked. But for the most part they can live quite a while

You can also "customize" media too, if you find that you just want foam and not carbon or anything you can get the AquaClear foam sponges and use that. I also use loose Carbon and stuff the toe of pantyhose, cut them and tie them up for custom filtration units ^_^ works pretty darn well!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #6 
Moonshine357

Awesome! I am so excited about him! His name is Moonshine.

Thanks for the info on the baffle, filter, and the heater. :D I want Moonshine to have a nice long life and be happy.

I think I am going to split a ten gallon three ways. Although, one lucky black and blue betta might get an entire ten gallon to himself. I am not sure. I should probably get more experience before I buy more.

Last edited by Moonshine357; 07-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Awesome! Yeah, totally would love to see pictures of him!

And happy to help! Feel free to ask questions any time, no matter how silly you think they are!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #8 
Moonshine357

I will as soon as I get a chance. I don't have a cell phone with a camera, so I have to take a picture with the digital camera and hook it up to the computer.