Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #1 
OscarsMommy

Question Big decision....help me please

Thank you, again.

I had several forum members come to my aide for my first post regarding my concern for my Betta, Oscar...

Here are the answers of the last questions they asked me on that particular thread:
* His tank temperature ranges between 80-82 F.

* His plants are artificial, because I was too scared to work with real, since I am totally new to that...I didn't want to take the chance of messing up the pH of his environment to shock him.

* He likes to play in the water that falls down from the filter...maybe he was a salmon in a past life. I always make sure he doesn't do any damage to his fins either...

***But good news...I am just an overly cautious momma, I have been monitoring for 2 hours now, since I got off work, and he is fine...I am just chalking it up to actually catching the lit'l lively guy in a resting phase this morning...***

Now on to more pressing issues...introducing new mates. Since Oscar's move to his new environment took place on Sunday, I want to give him a few days adapting to it before 'shaking it up' again.

I just can't seem to find fish I really like...I mean, I love the elegance of the Angelfish, and if they get too large for the tank, I have no problem moving up to a larger one when the time comes. Would Angelfish be tail/fin nippers?

The rainbow tetras are beautiful, too...a bit small, I feared them to either 1.) nip at his fins or 2.)be a snack for Oscar.

The Swordtails that were once suggested to me, I would fear with their fins/tails would make Oscare think they were another Betta...

I also read about Platies - they look to be a winner...anyones I should NOT look at buying? For example, I am intrigued by the tuxedo ones and the vibrant yellow/orange ones? Do they nip fins/tails?

OK...Ok...Ok....

I am down to Platies and a Angelfish...can I do both? Or limit it to 2 of one kind or what not...of how many of each? Keep in mind, my current tank is a 10 gallon. I would like to upgrade in the near future...just not for awhile...Oscar is just adapting to his new tank...

Then, the final question....

How do I introduce them??
- do I need to have them in a different tank for a few days??
- can I add them once their bag of water they are in reaches same temperature as Oscar's tank?

Goodness, I hate being new to something...lol...

Thank you so much for all the help.

Last edited by OscarsMommy; 03-17-2009 at 04:33 PM.
OscarsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think there's a fish compatability chart somewhere on the forum. Maybe in the freshwater aquarium section. Maybe someone else knows exactly where it is. Sorry I can't really answer any of your questions. :(
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #3 
crowntailbettalover

angles and platies work well w/ each other.platies will nip but from my experience of raising every fresh and a bit of salt water fishes, they dont cause harm. angels never nip my tiny fishes. u could introduce the betta to the 2 by putting them in the same tank but with a glass or plastic frame.thats how i introduce my fish.
crowntailbettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #4 
veganchick

yep, but angels are fairly large for a 10g. I'de get 30g for 2 full grown angles, but you could have a bunch of other fish with them. They just need the space becuase they can groww about 8 inches tall. Cories are breat tankmates for bettas. so are zebra danios, and cherry barbs, altho some people may say otherwize, from my experience they are great! It all depennds on the personality of your betta! Oh, I know these aren't fish, but you could also get some ADF! Theyare really cool!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard that African dwarf frogs do well with bettas but then again, it depends on the personality of the betta. He may harrass a frog and he may ignore it. I've heard that ghost shrimp might work and you won't be out a lot of money if the betta decides to snack on them.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #6 
OscarsMommy

Okay, new question, where do I get the little separator for the tank?

I plan on upgrading my tank in the very near future. I started out with about a 1.5/2 gallon tank and graduated up to a 10 gallon tank in about a month and some odd days...my goal is to get a nice 50-ish gallon tank and have a gorgeous fish family...if possible...

I enjoy caring for him, and hopefully he will be okay with other fish. Oscar just seems to be a non-aggressor...he is quite a curious little fellow...and tonight, he seems very comfortable with his environment, which is very reassuring.

Okay. So I am thinking of getting an angel fish and about 3 assorted colored male platys. Do you think that is an okay mix to add with Oscar? Since they are all babies, they should be able to live in a 10 gallon, for now...or should I just get the 3 platys and wait until I actually have the larger aquarium before I introduce the Angelfish?

Oh these darn decisions...whatever to do, LoL...

Thank you so much guys!!!!

Last edited by OscarsMommy; 03-17-2009 at 08:30 PM.
OscarsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #7 
crowntailbettalover

u should try snails. bettas usually dont care about them. if ur betta's personality is calm and pretty much like to play by it self, try ghost shrimps. they 're 2 fast 4 the betta 2 catch. try guppies. they dont tend to nip or bite. at home, mine r a copycat. if my mollies nip they nip. oh, dont get mollies. they nip the tail. if oscar is protectionet, or tend 2 bite, let him be alone. good luck
Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #8 
crowntailbettalover

take like a glass screen or a plastic screen. u can buy the things that can stick onto glass. just buy the ones that have the slits. slide the screen through it. yeah i think introduce the angelfish l8r. at a hardware store. dont move him out of the tank 2 quickly. it might upset him and he'll get really scared. dont startled the tank, tap it, or move it.

Last edited by crowntailbettalover; 03-17-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: i made some errors when i wrote it
Old 03-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

They have dividers at the petstore but I've heard that they don't work very well. There is also a way you can make one out of plastic canvas. The directions for making one is in the do it yourself section of the forum.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #10 
Kim

Angelfish can be semi-aggressive from what I've heard. I don't think that they would get along well with a betta for that reason. A few platies may work, but just be cautious if they are colorful because that sometimes evokes a territorial response from bettas. I have found corydoras catfish to be great tank mates for bettas because they stick to the bottom whereas the betta will stick mainly to the top. They are also probably the most docile fish I've ever seen, and will never nip fins which is a huge plus with a betta. If you do decide to get a larger tank, I would keep the betta in the 10 gal because they really do limit what you can have in a tank as far as other fish go.

As far as introducing them goes, I would temporarily remove the betta, move around the decorations to break up known territories, then acclimate and put in the other fish (after QT please!). Let them roam the tank for a while (if the betta is not in a heated container then only do this for about 15 min or so to avoid stressing the betta), then introduce the betta. Because everything has been rearranged, he should not feel the need to defend his territory, but you will still need to watch carefully to make sure that everything goes well. Like has been said, all bettas have different personalities and likewise will respond to tankmates differently. I hope this helps ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote