Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #1 
veganchick

Talking Betta Set up

I am wanting to start a fish room, and one of my main focuses will be bettas, So far I have a shelf made that has 4 shelves, each able to hold two 2.5 gallon tanks. then I'll have a 12g sorority tank, and a 1g fry/ breeding tank, and a 1g hospital for the sorority tank. I'm thinking marble substrate,
Tetra Whisper 3i In-Tank Filter - Filtration & Circulation - Fish - PetSmart this filter, then the shelf will be heated, and I'll have a 75watt heater for the 12g. each tank will have 15% changes once a week. baby brine shrimp (sea horses) and pellets will be their mane diet. Each tank will have lights also, and some java moss w/ fake plants. Does this sound ok?
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #2 
Cody

Are you breeding? A one gallon fry tank will not work. You will need hundreds of jars (one for each betta), and not just a single tank.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you need at least 20 gallons to breed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #4 
Cody

To actually breed the parents, I would have at least a 2.5G saying the tank is usually half full. Not a 20G tank IMO. But you need hundreds of jars for fry.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

To accomodate all the fry, you would need a 20 gallon. To spawn them in a small tank, you'd end up having to move the fry to a large tank so they can have enough room to grow. I'm just going by what I've read, not experience. Yeah, you'd definitely need lots of jars to put them in and find homes for them.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:47 AM   #6 
Cody

Ah, I see. The 20G for the early stages of fry. That is true. Once they can be sexed, they have to go in jars.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #7 
Kim

I'd say dramaqueen is right as far as the spawning tank goes. You need at least 10 gallons and 20 is better because there's more room for the fry to grow later on. Another reason that you don't want to go any smaller than 10 gallons is that bettas are aggressive even during spawning and you really need the space (and lots of hiding places) to give the female a place to escape.

You're going to cycle all the betta tanks right? I'd highly recommend it because it's soooo much easier as far as water changes go ;) I'd also highly recommend getting some frozen bloodworms (they love em!) and daphnia to feed after fast day.

Good luck with it!!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you spawn them in a 2 1/2 gallon, you'll end up having to move all the fry to a larger tank and a 20 gallon will have plenty of room for plants and caves foor the female to hide.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #9 
veganchick

Ok, I'm not planning on breeding them, and if i did I was gonna give the fry to my neighbor, but I guess I'm def. not going to! Anyway, does the 12g sorority, and the 2.5g male tanks, and the 1g hospital for the sorority sound ok? Also, in a 12g, how many females can I do?
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'd say 4-6 females. Make sure you have plenty of caves and plants for them to hide in.