Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #1 
lovemyfish99

seeding a filter from a pond

I just got my 6.6 gal 'bookshelf' tank from Petco (fits rather nicely at my desk) and thought maybe I could seed the filter from my little outside pond.

The pond (more like a puddle) is 30 gal with waterfall and pump, no fish, just whatever is calling it home these days. I pulled a piece of scrub pad from the filter and put it in the aquarium filter, and within an hour there were little red worms and other larvae swimming around, along with some primordial ooze.

Are there any 'bad' larvae, parasites or diseases that could harm a betta? I've used filter media from my koi pond to seed other tanks over the years, but never for a betta. Just thought I'd get some advice from the gang here before I do anything.

Thanks!
lovemyfish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

There is always the risk of bringing funk into your tank but IME the betta will make short work of any worms or larvae.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote