Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #1 
miscanon

Mini Bow 1?

I'm getting a betta soon, after not having one for a few years, and am looking for a good tank that's not too big. I've been thinking about maybe the Mini Bow 1 (link) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

I'm not in a big hurry or anything, either; I'm waiting until I get back to school to get a fish, so he won't have to go 1000+ miles in the car!
miscanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #2 
TheOnlyCanvas

If you're looking at the Mini Bow series I highly recommend bumping up a size to the 2.5 gallon. It's only slightly bigger footprint-wise.
The main reason is because I kept my male halfmoon in the 1 gallon and he got so cramped from the space and not having room to move around that his dorsal fin rolled up and curled into itself. Plus the lightbulbs on the 1 gallons go out much faster because they're small.
Also the filters on those kinda suck. I've heard from several people that they flood, and I know that you have to put a sponge over the intake otherwise it can tear fins. I just didn't use mine at all.
Really, though, I liked my Mini Bows quite a bit! They're great desktop tanks.
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #3 
miscanon

I'll be sure not to go with the Mini Bow 1, then! Thanks!

What do you think of the 1.7 gal Aquascene? (link)
Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #4 
Seki

I agree with TheOnlyCanvas, go with the 2.5 minibow. I have one for my veiltail and he loves it. :) I would not use the filter, though, if I were you. I'd just go for twice weekly water changes as the filter might be a bit strong in such a small tank and you'd have to work to keep the current from upsetting your fish too much.

Another tank I can fully recommend is the Tetra Crescent 3 gallon kit. It's beautifully designed and fits nicely on my desk without taking up much space at all. My crowntail has plenty of space to swim around and the filter is literally all but SILENT while still keeping the water crystal clear. Plus, the LED lights make my fish look gorgeous. :)
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

If the size if okay, you could get this five gallon for about the same price. Baffle the filter and you're good to go. Several reviewers got it for their Bettas.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #6 
CrazyFishDude

I actually have a 1.7 gallon Aquascene with my stepsister's betta Mystery, and another empty one that will probably be used for another betta. That being said, I honestly still think the best tank is the 2.5 gallon Minibow, mainly because it actually has a filter, and it doesn't have the odd shape of the Aquascene which can make that tank hard to filter. Either one of those would work though.
CrazyFishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #7 
registereduser

I have two 2.5 mini-bows and love them, so easy to keep! I don't use the filters, they are bare bottomed and each have one large decoration and moss ball. I plan on getting more someday.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

This is my favorite 2.5g tank:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I don't have a filter on it, I do 2 50%+ water changes per week with a 100% every 2-3 wks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #9 
miscanon

I'm gonna go with the Mini Bow 2.5! Thanks guys!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #10 
safisher

Being a novice Betta fish owner, and only having a very small space to put the aquarium, we purchased an Aqueon Mini Bow 1 for our daughter's Delta Male, Kiwi. We've used Betta Water from the beginning, and have found the filter to work fine. The only problem we've had is with some mild cloudiness in the water, after a 50% water change siphoning of the substrate. I've recently used Stress Coat+ because of injuries he received when he got stuck in his ornamental castle. The castle is gone, but Kiwi is fine.

The only thing I need to do is get a water testing kit, and then figure out how to deal with the numbers, should they be a problem. (I'm so confused about the numbers...and what to put in the water to help adjust them along with the water changes.).

I like Stress Coat + because it has really helped Kiwi with his injuries. I'm just trying to figure out if you can use Stress Coat + and Seachem Prime at the same time.

Sorry to go off on a tangent... but we like the Mini Bow so far, even if it may not be the ideal habitat.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, mini bow, new fish, suggestions, tank