Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #1 
ismintis

Question Cleaning a Heater

Long story short; a while back I tried rescuing a fish from my LPS. He had terrible fin rot and ammonia burns. His anal fin was so far gone that the rot was getting close to his body. He fought long and hard for two months and I thought he was getting better but ended up passing away last month of unknown reasons.
I want to use the heater and thermometer that I had placed in his hospital tank again, but how do I make it safe for the next betta so they don't develop any health problems?
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can use a bleach solution dip. Do 1 parts Clorox Bleach to 19 parts water solution in a bucket and you can let whatever you need soak in it for about an hour (you can do this in the tank as well) and then rinse out with the hottest tap you can get. Rinse until you don't smell bleach then let everything soak in regular hot tap for about an hour. Rinse again and this time use hot tap with 4x the amount of conditioner needed. So if it's 1 drop per gallon, use 4 or even 5 drops per gallon and this will make it aquarium safe again. I'd let it soak for 2 hours in this, you can rinse again and repeat the last step if you don't feel comfortable with it or still smell bleach. And voila, you're good to go again!

Alternatively you could rinse everything with white vinegar as this kills pretty much everything too and then rinse out with hot tap until you don't smell vinegar any more and do the 4-5x conditioned water soak as well for 1-2 hours.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #3 
ismintis

Thanks! I'll probably do the Clorox Bleach :)
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote