Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #1 
thisismydesign

Mold on Decor Skull

So, I got a Penn Plax Skull Gazer for my divided 10 gallon tank. After a few days I noticed it was surrounded but a white/clear-ish sort of...I don't know, barrier or something that was maybe a centimeter thick. It's the kind of film that covers rotting food or dead fish.

Why did it do that to the skull? I washed it in hot water but what else can I do to remove it? What can I do to make it safe for my fish?
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #2 
thisismydesign

Or is it a fungus? I'm reading some stuff on cotton like fungi that can grow in aquariums.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #3 
thisismydesign

ok, it's not cotton fungus
Old 07-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

That does sound strange. Do you have a filter in your tank ? I have used Penn Plax decorations and have never had a problem with them. I just really have no idea what could be causing this issue you are having. You could do a vinegar and water soak with it and then rinse it very well with hot water and let in dry and then try putting in back in your tank again and keep a close eye on it.

Maybe some other members will have some ideas for you and keep us updated on this decoration issue .
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #5 
thisismydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
That does sound strange. Do you have a filter in your tank ? I have used Penn Plax decorations and have never had a problem with them. I just really have no idea what could be causing this issue you are having. You could do a vinegar and water soak with it and then rinse it very well with hot water and let in dry and then try putting in back in your tank again and keep a close eye on it.

Maybe some other members will have some ideas for you and keep us updated on this decoration issue .
How much vinegar in how much water? I also don't have normal vinegar, I have this weird apple scented stuff that's 5% acidity...I'll go look it up I guess.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would use a couple of teaspoons of normal vinegar in a bowl of water and let the skull soak for a hour or so, remove and rinse very well and let it dry. I have heard letting something dry in the sun also helps if you can do that but if not just let it dry somewhere it will stay clean. Good luck I hope this helps.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #7 
thisismydesign

Ok, thank you. I needed to go to the Dollar Tree anyway so I'll get some white vinegar there. It's been in the 90*F for the last few days so drying in the sun shouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #8 
OrangeAugust

I got that in my 2 gallon, which wasn't filtered. It smelled really weird, too. I never got rid of it the whole time I used that tank. Hope the vinegar thing works for you (I never tried it).
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #9 
thisismydesign

I soaked the skull for 2 hours in a vinegar/water bath. It was cloudy today and will stay like that for the next 4 days or so, but I used a "daylight" heat lamp from my little brother's geckos to dry it. Hopefully it's a decent sunlight substitute.

It should be dry now so I'll but the skull back in and keep an eye on it.

My tank is filtered too, so maybe it was just due to stuff left on from the production process.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #10 
TakingthePlunge

If it's bacterial, then you could do as another member suggested to me, and that's use Hydrogen Peroxide. It's not good for the fish to be exposed to it, but if you took the skull out and soaked it with 50/50 water and peroxide for an hour, rinsed, and let dry, then that should certainly kill anything still clinging on. Good luck!
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote