Betta Fish Forum banner

Mold on Decor Skull

798 views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  TakingthePlunge 
#1 ·
So, I got a Penn Plax Skull Gazer for my divided 10 gallon tank. After a few days I noticed it was surrounded but a white/clear-ish sort of...I don't know, barrier or something that was maybe a centimeter thick. It's the kind of film that covers rotting food or dead fish.

Why did it do that to the skull? I washed it in hot water but what else can I do to remove it? What can I do to make it safe for my fish?

#4 ·
That does sound strange. Do you have a filter in your tank ? I have used Penn Plax decorations and have never had a problem with them. I just really have no idea what could be causing this issue you are having. You could do a vinegar and water soak with it and then rinse it very well with hot water and let in dry and then try putting in back in your tank again and keep a close eye on it.

Maybe some other members will have some ideas for you and keep us updated on this decoration issue .

#6 ·
I would use a couple of teaspoons of normal vinegar in a bowl of water and let the skull soak for a hour or so, remove and rinse very well and let it dry. I have heard letting something dry in the sun also helps if you can do that but if not just let it dry somewhere it will stay clean. Good luck I hope this helps.

#9 ·
I soaked the skull for 2 hours in a vinegar/water bath. It was cloudy today and will stay like that for the next 4 days or so, but I used a "daylight" heat lamp from my little brother's geckos to dry it. Hopefully it's a decent sunlight substitute.

It should be dry now so I'll but the skull back in and keep an eye on it.

My tank is filtered too, so maybe it was just due to stuff left on from the production process.

#10 ·
If it's bacterial, then you could do as another member suggested to me, and that's use Hydrogen Peroxide. It's not good for the fish to be exposed to it, but if you took the skull out and soaked it with 50/50 water and peroxide for an hour, rinsed, and let dry, then that should certainly kill anything still clinging on. Good luck!

#12 ·
Update

The skull has been back in for a day now? Or has it been two? Either way I can already see the fuzz stuff coming back. The vinegar bath didn't work. Maybe I didn't put enough in? I'm not sure.

So...new options?

#14 ·
Penn plax has been known to have their decor do things like this! In my opinion you should just cut your looses and move on to another brand/company

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.