Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #1 
Dozzem

Question DIY Materials for Homemade Aquatic Decor?

Hello!
I, and maybe some of you, have this problem everything I go to a pet store and look at the aquatic decor lined on the shelves. I not only find most of it just ugly but unsafe for our pets. The paint isn't right for water use, the holes are to small for our curious finned friends, or they have sharp surfaces.
I also would love a little creativity in my tanks!

Me, being a creative and crafty person, am wondering what I can use to make my own decor. I haven't tried anything in worry to endanger my fish to harmful chemicals or something.

I have thought about clay, or plastic action figures. Things that I could easily get and mold into something personal for my fish.
Do you guys have any ideas or references for things that I can make that wouldn't hurt the fish?
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #2 
Flyby Stardancer

PVC clay (sold under brand names like FIMO or Scupley) are safe once fired. As far as plastic figurines... I have some from Disney that I'm planning on either sealing with epoxy, or spraying with a coat of Krylon Fusion in clear, to see if they'll be safe after that.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #3 
LizbethDawn

I'm gonna add to this. We have a place here where you can paint a ceramic piece, and it's lead free paint, they put the gloss on and fire it for you. Would something I did there be safe to go in a tank?
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #4 
Flyby Stardancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizbethDawn View Post
I'm gonna add to this. We have a place here where you can paint a ceramic piece, and it's lead free paint, they put the gloss on and fire it for you. Would something I did there be safe to go in a tank?
Depends on the firing temp. If it's a high fire, then it should be. :)
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote