Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #11 
MJ1911

Thx, me too.

Thanks to everybody in general. Having someone to talk to helps. Was so worried last night. I usually spend hours looking at the fish but couldn't look at him like that and left early. Didn't part with GF at the best of terms either. I'll have to make up for that. All your suggestions helped me relax. That and a good night sleep. Though my journals got postponed by another day. At least you guys got a sneak preview.

As long as he still has both his eyes intact for the next 2 hours, I'll be happy.

Treatment's on the way Sashi!
MJ1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #12 
TheGoldenBetta

I'm glad you calmed down, i know how it feels when something seems to go wrong. I tend to over react about my fish lol I stay up at night thinking about them.
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #13 
jenjen182

I was off bettafish.com for a day and I come back to see a forum with sick Sashi! Oh no! After reading, the best thing you can do is just stay calm, follow instructions, and relax. I know that feeling of panic like you want to do something but you can't and you don't know how. Poor Sashi! I hope it isn't popeye.

Keep us updated MJ1911- I'm anxiously awaiting posts!
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #14 
jenjen182

Found this info on popeye off of a very reliable betta website. Hope it helps!

GENERAL INFO:
If you always keep your betta’s water very clean, he is not very likely to get Popeye. Popeye is a bacterial infection usually caused by poor water condition (in other words filthy water because you were too darn lazy to get off the couch and attend to your betta!!!). but popeye can also be the tip of the iceberg, the external sign that something inside Mr. Betta is going very wrong. For example, tuberculosis will sometimes result in popeye. In that case, the popeye may not be curable or even if it gets better the fish will die (because tuberculosis is not curable and always kills its host). In short the fish will have died, not of the popeye itself, but because of the more serious disease that triggered it.

SYMPTOMS:
One or both of Mr. Betta’s eyes start bulging out. In about 2 to 7 days the eye might look so grotesque you will be afraid to look at your betta. Casimodo on a bad day will look more attractive then your betta at that point!! Please do not destroy your betta! In many cases, the bettas make a full recovery from it and look normal again, as if nothing had happened. Only some of the popeye cases are caused by the terminal diseases mentioned above and will result in your betta dying. The rest will heal nicely if caught early and treated aggressively (see below). During outbreak, betta may be less active, may stop eating.

TREATMENT:
As I said, popeye is usually not fatal and Mr. Betta will often fully recover. On occasion he may lose an eye. But if you catch it right away, he should be fine. Immediately do a full water change. Keep his water very clean, changing it every third day. After putting him in clean water, add the antibiotic Ampicillin (included in our Betta First Aid Kit) to his water. This medication usually comes in capsules. A full capsule usually treats 10 gal of water. So for a 1/2 gallon of water, open the capsule and take the right proportion of powder and sprinkle on jar water. You may steer gently with a disposable plastic spoon. This is a white powder and will not affect the color of the water. Do not overmedicate! Once Betta’s eyes are back to normal, keep treating for one more week (just to be sure) and then stop the medication. And keep his water clean from now on darn it!!

Last edited by jenjen182; 07-08-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Credit is from:http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #15 
MJ1911

One of my 3 jobs is at the hospital where we use medications to treat everything from agitation to infections with meds. I'm a hypocrite in that I do this for the patients but never for my self personally. I take Tylenol once a decade. Last time I was sick with high temp, I took 1 extra strength Tylenol and the fever was gone the next day. I joke that I am so narcotic naive that I get high off Tylenol.

I do this because I believe our body has coping mechanisms to fight off infections on their own, and the more antibiotics we use, the lazier our immune system becomes. I don't know if it's fair to impose the same method to my fish.

What I'm thinking is 50% everyday. By the 3rd day that's a total of 150% new water (technically less as each change, i'm taking out water that is a blend of clean and dirty so diminishing returns will have to be accounted for). I'm not entirely certain that it is the water. It could be something as simple as Vitamin A deficiency, which is a direct result of not feeding enough.

I'm no pro at this. Thanks for all the suggestions. OMW to the house now. Will post pics before I begin water change.

By tomorrow if there are no changes, I'll see if Ampicillin is required.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #16 
MJ1911

here's the pic. I think it got a tiny bit bigger than yesterday, but not sure. It definitely didn't improve. Water below surface looks good. Surface still has floating bits in it. For those that use API stress coat, could this be aloe vera? GF says it started last week, same time we bought the foam for spout and we started using API instead of a generic one that only dechlorinates.

GF is on the way home. She's gonnna buy aquarium salt and Ampicillin for when we need it.

Did 50% water change. Fish looked normal in terms of activity, but when I came close with the food pellet bottle, he became active. Still active now, 30 minutes after being fed, 10 minutes after the water change.

Does it look bad? How critical do you guys think it is?

It's not the best pic, and my 16MP camera makes it impossible to upload larger sizes on the site. For a closer look, download the image and magnify. I'll try to take brighter pics
Attached Images

Last edited by MJ1911; 07-08-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Not the best pic
Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #17 
MJ1911

Here is another from a different angle.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #18 
jenjen182

Hmm. Looking from your avatar to Sashi's 2nd recent photo, I do see an enhancement in the size of his eyes. This is not the worst popeye I have seen, but, just from now, I believe it is popeye.

Sounds like you have it under control though. Just stay calm and try treatments.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #19 
TheGoldenBetta

I have not had experience with popeye, but I suggest you listen to people who have.
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #20 
Lindsaypez

Please keep us updated! I just caught up on Sashi's story!

I am of zero help, but I just had to tell you that I relate to your stress and just wanting to help your fish! My Abraham is biting his fins and I've been so worried about it. He is such a beautiful fish and I'm so sad that his fins are wrecked! I've been doing everything I can think of to make him happy. I just bought a fancy water testing kit and tested his water and all his levels look good which made me feel better that at least I know I'm taking good care of him. Have you considered buying test kits for Sashi? Or taking a water sample to a pet store to have them test it? I know you're doing great with keeping your water conditions clean, but it sometimes is comforting to actually have the proof that the chemistry is where it should be! As I've typed this I keep glancing at Abraham and his chewed fins. *sigh* It's such a helpless feeling to watch them be unwell. I hope Sashi makes a fast recovery and I look forward to reading your updates! Good luck!
Lindsaypez is offline   Reply With Quote