Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #31 
BettaLover1313

I hope Sashi feels better!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #32 
ANHEL123

You can really put 5 tsp for that 2.5 gall tank. You can safely use 3tsp/gall. It's what usually everyone including Oldfishlady recommending.

I actually have bettas for about a little longer than 7 years. One of my betta 5.5 years old . I never use a net, i always trying to lure them in or scoop them with a cup. Some of my bettas are really difficult to couch though.

Make sure you acclimating him:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #33 
MJ1911

Thx for all the well wishers and helpful advice. Sashi should now be on his 6th day of Epsom Salt treatment. Last time I saw him was 3 days ago. The swelling may have been reduced but can't really tell. I'm just glad that it's not getting any bigger and the filmy white stuff was only present that one night. Salt is now 4 tsp in a 5 gallon tank. We'll probably increase that tomorrow to 5tsp (I know the tank is 5 gallons, but was afraid we were only puttin in 4.5 gallons of water so that there would be atleast 2 inches of open air to prevent Sashi from jumping out) during his daily 100% water change. Been a while since I gave an update. I'll give you guys a full heads up in a few hours on how he's been doing.

The flaring stopped btw. Good sign. Maybe he was just in pain, making him rather grumpy those times he flared at me. And for those that read my latest journal entry 3 days ago, I'm seeing white borders all around his fins...signs of new fin growth I hope. Yes, for now the tail biting has stopped and I can't believe how fast his fins regenerate. Buddy has Wolverine's healing ability or something. Maybe it's the salt, or maybe it's his hyper metabolism as a result of his hyper activity. Also the white streak on his dorsal fin, clearly visible on my avatar, is ever slowly turning more purple each week. I don't know why it's white in the first place. I think it's new fins growing from whenever he lost it when he was still at the pet store, and only now is the pigmentation starting to reappear. Will miss the Jay Leno look, but would like to see his true colours shine.
MJ1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #34 
ANHEL123

You are using about 1tsp/gall . Are you afraid to use 2-3 tsp/gall? I would really increase at least to 2tsp/gall . I would recommend 3 though . It really safe conservative method. It proofed in many year ,well at least for 3 years that i am on the forum lol Epsom salt very mild on bettas and will not affect them in a bad way. Any way thank you for update. Use Epsom salt at least for 15 days. Epsom salt sometimes can be even used indefinitely
in some cases.
Keep us updated:)
Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #35 
Lindsaypez

Glad to hear his fins are growing back! My Abraham's fins are beginning to grow back, too. Keep healing, fishies!
Lindsaypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #36 
MJ1911

my mistake, it's 4 tsp in a 2.5 gallon tank. was gonna raise it to 5tsp today but GF already did the water change. Yeah I am scared to use it any more than that. I do wan't him to go back to his old tank soon though and i was hoping after 10 days the popeye will be gone so I'll add another 1 tsp today and for the next 3 days will raise it a bit each time and see if it goes away sooner. On my way there now.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #37 
HeadlessLegoMom

So glad he's improving! As for your question about why he had a white "Jay Leno" streak to begin with: I saw somewhere on this forum someone explaining how white fish have the least layers which is why they are sometimes transparent. The darker the fish, the more layers they have. A lot of times when people bring sick or injured "white" Bettas home, as their health improve, their colors start to come out. So you are right to think that this is him healing if it is turning purple. Good job!

Also, if you are scared to add too much salt at a time, you can try what I have been doing which is adding (or having your Gf add) another dose of 1tsp./gallon about 12 hours after the water change. Just take out a little tank water in a baster or cup and put the salt in. When it is fully dissovled, you can slowly add it back into his tank.
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #38 
ANHEL123

I would use salt until you really can see the swelling reduced . And even after you put him back in his 5 gall tank i would do more frequent water changes. Am i right it 5 gall tank? Did you make water changes in that tank since he is not there any longer?Sorry i don't remember if he has any tank mates , but still even if there is not tank mates i wold do a few water changes in that tank before you put him in , and take long time to acclimate him.
You can also do 50% water changes for his 5 gall tank weekly with gravel vacuum and weekly filter media rinse/swish in the tank water or dechlorinated water:)
Here is the Oldfishlady recommendations , may be it will give you a few helpful tips

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #39 
MJ1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I would use salt until you really can see the swelling reduced . And even after you put him back in his 5 gall tank i would do more frequent water changes. Am i right it 5 gall tank? Did you make water changes in that tank since he is not there any longer?Sorry i don't remember if he has any tank mates , but still even if there is not tank mates i wold do a few water changes in that tank before you put him in , and take long time to acclimate him.
You can also do 50% water changes for his 5 gall tank weekly with gravel vacuum and weekly filter media rinse/swish in the tank water or dechlorinated water:)
Here is the Oldfishlady recommendations , may be it will give you a few helpful tips

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
yeah it's 5 gallon. we were doing weekly water changes of 20-30-% weekly, checking water quality at the same time. amonia never rose so we kept to that schedule. He's been out of that tank for a while now and yesterday was supposed to be the empty tanks water change but we didn't get around to it. I was thinking it would speed up the cycle faster if we let the amonia build while he wasn't there. Thanks for the link, I'll see what oldfishlady says.

As for the update, his eye is slilghtly better, today we will increase the salt, and eventually it will be 7.5 tsp in his 2.5 gallon tank. I hope the gradual increase lets us put him back in his old tank faster. Back to his tail biting. Took a nip last night. He is fasting today, don't know if that has anything to do with it, but he bit it some more of it late in the morning and he is back to his L shaped tail.

Either he is hungry, or he does it out of anger when hungry, or he feels he swims better with a small tail.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #40 
ANHEL123

Yes definitely check the link. I like more water changes for the size of the tank that you have. And i don't have filters now but i did had 10 gall with a filter with my first betta and i never rinse/swish the filter. I just didn't know i have to do it. So just want to emphasize that issue. Swish /rinse it weekly in the tank water .

Tail biting i see it all the time ,in so many threads. Sorry i don't remember if he bit the tail when he was in his original tank. May be try to put more silk plants and people even saying toys in his tank. I have one of my betta bit his tail about 6-7 times in his life (he is 3.2 years old).Not sure what stopped him, but i have even put stuff out side of his tank , and i put a lot of stuff in his tank (silk plants, i have glass thermometer, i keep a few suction cups from the heater ,even though i took the heater out for the summer, but i also change the place of the tank, i took a few leaves out of the silk plant and put them on the bottom of the tank with a stone on top of it so it hold it. He likes to sleep under that leaf.