Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #11 
Deanna01

I have bought this female and have been looking for a nice male for her:

I found this guy on AB today, and my, he is pricey. But he does seem gorgeous. With this pair, would I mostly get their same colors, or can I expect something else? With HM to HMPK would get about 50% HM and about 25% HMPK, and 25% other? Is that right? What are y'all's opinions of these guys as a pair?

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #12 
Ilikebutterflies

His caudal could be wider and he appears to have a dip behind the dorsal. Breeding the two would likely produce a longer finned HMPK. Both have very rounded caudal tips. IMHO the colors are just kinda...blah. I would maybe look for a bold blue male or a solid black one. Mustard gas would work as well. They both have short rays at the beginning of the anal.
Hmmm. I think you could do better.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #13 
Lamb

This is a very interesting thread! I just bought one female and one male, I'm not sure about breeding the two but in the description the male was advertised as show quality, and the female, well I couldn't resist her. Extremely gorgeous. I'm still doing my research as I don't like to be unprepared for anything. (probably why my diaper bag weighs 30lbs, lol) Here are the two. I love them just as individuals but was wondering if I did in fact try to breed them in the future, what the outcome would be. I bought/ process of buying them from a seller on ebay who seems very reputable.

Name:  green hornet lady.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  red2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  46.7 KB

P.s. I bought the male at sale price since he has had fin damage.

They are advertised as a Green Hornet Female HM, and a Blood Red HM male.

Last edited by Lamb; 07-11-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #14 
Myates

I have to agree with butterflies.. he also looks to be shedding some slime coating which could be a health issue that hasn't surfaced yet.

There are slight issues with the fins, nothing major and nothing that can't be worked out easily. I would avoid the male personally just because of the slime coating.. next would be the spinal curve there.. the breeder must of saw the fins and color and hoped it would be enough to sell him.

I personally would go with this guy (great breeder)

This guy is also unique and would go with her (also a great breeder)

Be careful when buying a male for her, she has a bit of RT to her, so make sure the male's fins look nice and clean to avoid having too much. But she is a great girl and I hope you find a good boy for her!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #15 
Myates

Lamb, their parents will play a role in the outcome, but most likely you'll get a mix of blues with red wash, maybe some red with blue wash.. he's an awesome skyhawk. If you bred them I would breed back to the parent - whichever color you want the most, to get rid of the red wash/blue wash you may end up with.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #16 
Deanna01

Thank you so much, Myates! I had been looking at that pineapple and thinking how gorgeous he was, but I didn't realize he would go with any girls I had! I have a lot to learn still about how the various colors interact.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #17 
Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Lamb, their parents will play a role in the outcome, but most likely you'll get a mix of blues with red wash, maybe some red with blue wash.. he's an awesome skyhawk. If you bred them I would breed back to the parent - whichever color you want the most, to get rid of the red wash/blue wash you may end up with.
Fantastic! Thank you! I should keep tract of the generations I assume for the fry, being bred back, and so forth I assume? I think I'll give it a go if I'm confident in my abilities. Do you have any good links or names of books that would be helpful in learning more? Thank you so much!
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #18 
Myates

Deanna, think of bettas as a painting... you can mix all the colors you want. Sometimes they aren't as pretty, but usually you will always get something nice. It all depends on how much of a color purist you aim to be -

Take Lamb for example - breeding a red and blue fish - both are dominant colors so you will get a mix of both, but the colors will be "washed" which is not well liked among the people who show or breed for specific. Doesn't mean they are ugly or people won't love them.. just some prefer the "pure" color, while others don't mind. It depends on your goal in the end - if there is a certain color you are aiming for.
If you don't have a specific color goal then just have fun and see what you get :)
If your aim is to show, find the colors/style you want and be very choosy about the ones you breed, etc. But if it's just to make pretty fish, I'd aim more for fins and form over color as that is the deciding factor moreso than color is when certain people purchase the fish.

Lamb- definitely keep track of the lineage and breeding.. keep track of how many fry survive, how many deformities there are, the outcome of colors, males to females, etc etc.. most good breeders will keep detailed logs of their breeding when they are going to work on lines. That way if something happens and you want to duplicate a previous spawn, you know what to do and how :)

I'll PM you some links for places, otherwise there are some stickies at the top of the breeding section that may be useful :)
Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #19 
Riverotter

Deanna, did you ask the seller if he had any suitable males for her? I would. They only put a small percentage of their fish up on aquabid and he probably has a wide selection he'd be happy to show you if asked.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #20 
Myates

Good point :) Make sure you get a picture of him though before you accept to get a sibling!