Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #1 
marybethfh

Question Hole in Fins?

Hi! I'm a new Betta owner. I have a healthy (or so I hope...) Male half moon Betta fish named Fish (I know so original :P). I'm a college student and wanted to get a pet for the dorm. I think there might be something wrong with Fish though, I woke up the other day and I noticed that he has a few holes in his fins that I haven't seen before. I tried to get a good picture, and the one I did get probably isn't the best.

I keep him in a 2.5 gal tank, with a heater (the temp right now is about 72-73), a live plant, aquarium gems, and a small castle that he loves to swim in and out of. I do weekly 100% water changes on Wednesdays. I feed him every morning when I wake up or when I get back from class. He seems to be healthy, he eats and swims and flares his fins every now and then. He likes to hang out by his heater, probably because the water is a bit chilly for him.

Could these holes be fin rot? If they are can I get medicine from PetCo?

Here's Fish:

I know it's hard to tell, but the holes are those white circle/spaces on his fins...should I be worried?
marybethfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #2 
marybethfh

I labeled the one big hole in his fin in this picture. Again I'm sorry for the poor quality.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #3 
fishyinpa

Hmm well when i first got Fishy (original too haha) he had some kinda holes in his fins. But over time with nice fresh water it seemed to heal up on its own. It may be from being in that yucky lil bowl in their own waste. Also they like warmer temps,like 76-80. 72-73 is a bit chilly for a betta. Watch him perk up once his water warms up! He is a very pretty betta!

Edit after you added another pic....Hmm...not sure...some say salt can help with fin problems. 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Then 100% wc because salt doesnt dissolve and thats the only way to get it out.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #4 
marybethfh

Thank you for such a quick reply! My heater is preset to raise the temp a few degrees. We have the window open ever so slightly to circulate the air in our room (I go to school in CT so it's still pretty cold here) and my desk is near the window, though he is on the top shelf of my desk if that makes any difference. I could probably close the window a little and he'll perk up. I hope it's just because he's getting used to his new home (I've had him for about 3 weeks now)
Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #5 
fishyinpa

Oh okay....gotcha....yeah its cold here too! Oh its one of those preset ones with no dial?? I dont like them lol...i have visi-therms....that way you can control the temp. Can you move him away from the window? Like the other side of your desk or something. Not sure how you are situated but maybe if you could move him or close you window a bit itll raise his temp a lil. Otherwise Id exchange the heater with no dial for one with a dial. :) Plus while you are the store you can pick up some aquarium salt. It comes in a little carton. Not expensive. Hope that helps!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #6 
marybethfh

:D Yay for replies, I was scared I wouldn't get any help, hah. He's at the far end of my desk, as far as he can be from my window. I'll look for the new heater, I bought the cheapest one I could get without getting in trouble in the dorm (they're so strict!). What does the salt do?
Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #7 
fishyinpa

Nah this place is pretty good lol! They sure helped me alot..Im a noob,only had my fish for like 2 1/2 months. Oh okay well thats good then. Yeah I hear on that one,well one with a dial doesnt use anymore electric than the one you have. So should be fine,I think. Well the salt can help with his fins. The holes he has...it can help heal damaged or injured fins. For now you can just keep an eye on him,he may just heal up on his own. If it doesnt look like its getting better,Id try some salt in his water before trying any meds on him.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Keeping his water clean will go a long way towards helping his fins to heal. I agree on the heater. I have a visitherm adjustable heater, too. Your fish is beautiful, by the way! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #9 
marybethfh

Thank you! I'll pass the complements on to him ;] When I first got him he was so depressed in his 1/2 gallon bowl. I stumbled upon this site and read up on everything that Betta's need to be healthy and the weekend after I got him I upgraded him to his 2.5 gal and a castle :D He is so much happier now, and likes to hover in his castle and look down at me as if he were the king of it haha.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #10 
fishyinpa

Aww that sounds adorable lol!