Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #1 
Teibban

Fluval Spec outflow problem

Hi everyone,

My son Betta is in a Fluval SPEC 2. REduced the flow at the minimum (sponge at the exit) etc...

However, for the outflow over the filter, I cut sponge an put it inside of the outflow stuck between the black sponge and the black wall. However, his betta still sleeps there and now he seems to have some fins torn. Is there an easy way to get this safe for him to sleep?

Thanks
Jonathan
Teibban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #2 
givemethatfish

I'm assuming by outflow you mean intake in your second paragraph. You could use zip ties to put a sponge or a piece of craft mesh on the outside of the filter intake. Or put a plant or decoration right in front of it so your son's fish doesn't sleep right up against it.

Do you have a picture of the fish? I haven't heard a lot of complaints of fins being torn on the intake of this tank.
givemethatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #3 
cowboy

The craft mesh works great with three suction cups attached. I've just don't this
cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #4 
cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
The craft mesh works great with three suction cups attached. I've just don't this
Here's what I did with the kind advice from others

The craft mesh is cut a little longer and wider than vent, suction cups don't stick to vent. If you found black cups it would hardly be noticeable.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2015, 11:34 PM   #5 
cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemethatfish View Post
I'm assuming by outflow you mean intake in your second paragraph. You could use zip ties to put a sponge or a piece of craft mesh on the outside of the filter intake. Or put a plant or decoration right in front of it so your son's fish doesn't sleep right up against it.

Do you have a picture of the fish? I haven't heard a lot of complaints of fins being torn on the intake of this tank.

I've had four fish who all slept against vent without an issue. I did however add the craft mesh because I didn't know what was happening to new guy.
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #6 
kman

Craft mesh works well. Black zip ties, and you never even know it's not part of the tank.

My betta hasn't had a problem without it, but if yours is, that's probably a good way to go. Make sure your flow is down far enough? Instead of the big sponge over the outflow, I put a tiny piece of sponge inside the outflow spout (just pop it off, and put a little pice about 2/3 the size of a pea into it) and you can really fine-tune the outflow to wear it's not an issue. Less outflow means less water flow sucking through the intake, so easier for bettas with especially large and flowy tails to get off of it.

Fairly common for bettas to like to sleep there, since it gently holds them in place with zero effort on their part.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote