Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #1 
megz357

Steps to upgrading to a bigger tank?

I'm currently in the middle of doing a fish in cycle with my 5.5 gallon tank. However, I'm thinking about possibly upgrading to a 10 gallon in the next few months if I can find one used or for a good price. My 5.5 gallon came with a Top Fin 10 power filter. I believe this is a sufficient for a 10 gallon? So if I cycle my 5.5 gallon tank with the filter. Would upgrading to a 10 gallon be as simple as setting it up and moving the filter over from my 5.5 gallon?
megz357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #2 
Aqua Aurora

If the filter is cycled you should be able to move it over with the fish to a larger tank. I don't know that brand of filter, but if you are only keeping 1 betta in the 10g it should be fine since they don't need strong flow (and are opposed to it). If you do get a different filter for the upgraded tank just take the media from the cycled filter and put it in the new one (then fill in left over space for media with some new media) I'd recommend sponge/foam or ceramic/bio media as they allow beneficial bacteria to grow on them more readily than carbon bags.
Be mindful of heaters though, one that will heat a 5.5 might not be enough for a 10g, usually its 5 watts per a gallon so 50watt heater (or little more) is good for a 10g.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #3 
megz357

The tank would house a betta and two African Dwarf Frogs.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #4 
Aqua Aurora

I'd reccomend googling up the filter and see what tis tank size recommendation is.
You can also try using aqadvisor.com, plug in your tank and filter info then click 'update' then add in the fish and frogs (can type in search bar. the betta is a "betta splendid") see if it tells you that you need more filtration or not.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

For low-bioload tanks -- like Betta Tanks -- filter capacity should be sized to the fish rather than any arbitrary tank size. The Top Fin 10 is enough for your bioload. Just put it in the new tank.

Double-check me, but I think frogs like to be in pairs or more.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #6 
megz357

Yes, I currently have two ADF's. If I get a 10 gallon tank I may get another one or two depending on the bio load.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #7 
Kim

The filter should be absolutely fine for a low-bioload 10 gallon tank. And yes, all you'll have to do is move over the filter (and possibly the substrate too if you want to keep it, otherwise put a little in a nylon bag and place it in the new tank for a little extra bacteria at first) and you'll be good to go! That is the benefit of multiple tank syndrome - it is always easier to set up a new tank when you already have established ones ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote