Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Today, 12:25 PM   #1 
aselvarial

Let sit or strip?

So Loki died of undetermined causes that eventually caused him to pinecone and pass the other night. We are looking at another betta to go into his 10 gallon and I need to know if I need to totally strip his tank and start over, or do I just let it run a couple weeks and do water changes. Right now it is heavily planted and has trumpet snails, mystery snails, red ramshorn snails, and red cherry shrimp. There was never any medication or salt (obviously) in his tank as he went into the qt for that. However, he was in his tank off and on while he was sick, but not the last week when he was really ill. I don't particularly wish to strip it as it will be a pain, but I don't want to put a new fish into a tank that might be sick, either so if it needs to be stripped it will be.
The filter in that tank is a sponge filter.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

So sorry about Loki.

I would let it run for a while and watch the other critters to see how they are doing. If they're fine in another week or two I would get another fish. But that's just what I would feel comfortable doing. If you're thinking of eventually getting tank mates for any new Betta you might consider getting them first.

I know it may sound callous, but if I'm going to lose fish I would rather it be anything other than my Betta. My newest Betta, Reddington, does extremely well with Rasboras and they aren't nippy like Tetras (especially Neons).
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 PM   #3 
aselvarial

Loki was the first fish we've lost. I always assumed problem prone Lir or blind Osiris would go first. Once Loki got over ammonia poisoning from his death cup, he had no issues...right up until this last month. :( And then nothing worked. The snails and shrimp are all thriving in that tank. Should I get carbon or anything to run in it? Or is it fine with plants and sponge filter?
Old Today, 01:12 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I don't think you really need carbon. Plants and filter should be enough.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:16 PM   #5 
aselvarial

Awesome. Thanks!