Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 PM   #1 
Supernoodle

Question New Betta used to spring water! Can I Switch to tap and soften it!??

Hey all!
So, a friend gave me a betta as a gift in a small bowl and she had him for a few months but only used spring water! Now, of course, I am getting him a 2.5gallon tank tomorrow...and need to know if I have to keep using the spring water or can I switch to tap with the proper drops added? If I can indeed switch to tap water ...how do I do so safely? I heard you have to switch over a 4 wk period??!! Is that true?

Thanks all!

T
Momma to Tiberius and Raphael :)
Supernoodle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #2 
BettaStarter24

You can change to tap water with water conditioner (though water conditioner should be used no matter what). When you get the 2.5g, fill it with the tap water, put in the proper amount of water conditioner, then float your boy in his cup in the tank until the temperatures match, then slowly take out water from the cup and add water from the tank into the cup (like a little at a time) to acclimate him to the new water chemistry.
BettaStarter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:27 AM   #3 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

spring water and tap water are al little more different than that, as they'll have different phs and hardnesses, you should start him off in 90% spring water then 75, 50, 25, 10, 0 (with each water change acclimating like that during water changes)
Spring water is $1 per gallon at most grocery stores, and since your tank is small it shouldn't cost you more than $6-7 to do this. If you acclimate too quickly your betta will most likely to into shock
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:59 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Spring water and tapwater will indeed have different pH and hardness. But by following BettaStarter's suggestions for "acclimating" your fish, you can safely get him into a new tank with tapwater in just a few hours.

Be sure to dose his water with Prime water conditioner @ 2-drops/gal every day until you get your tank cycled.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #5 
Tolak

Whoever told you 4 weeks is crackers. Bottled water is nowhere near as regulated as municipally supplied tap water, you've probably introduced hardness & pH variations without knowing it, regardless the fish is doing well.

You can drip acclimate to your tap water, this should take about 3 hours. Marine folks do this, I've done this with imported Rio Negro fish. Hardish higher pH Chicago tap is nowhere near the softer low pH water found in most of the Amazon, fish did fine. Get a length of air line, tie a loose knot in it to reduce flow, adjust the knot as needed. Put the fish in a smaller container with the water it's used to. Start a siphon with the air line, adding the new water to the container. What you're aiming for is doubling the water volume every hour, for 3 hours, adjust the knot or the fish's container level to allow for this. After 3 hours the fish is in 87.5% new water, and is generally good to go.
Tolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

+1 to Tolak, I use Drip Acclimation on everything regardless just because it's so much easier; you basically set it and forget it--though, don't actually forget because you don't want water running over lol, but I find it's generally less stressful and easier for the keeper to do it.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #7 
Supernoodle

Thanks so much for the info! I'm feeling much better about getting him in his new environment with as little stress as possible! Now I just have to figure out which heater to get!

T
Old 02-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

For something cheap and that will actually work, I like Hydor Theo's from here. Good for 5 gallons and under usually and it's adjustable! Which means, if your Betta get's Ich, you can just crank the heat up to 86-88 and be done with it instead of using meds on him! Much less stressful in the end for him ^_^

But whatever you get, make sure it's adjustable. Pre-Set heaters are just a waste of cash and annoying to work with since you can't change the setting if you want it a little lower or a little hotter. It's worth it to spend a few extra bucks, but even with that Hydor Theo; it's practically cheaper than half the pre-set ones lol!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #9 
Supernoodle

Excellent! Thanks Lilnaugrim!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #10 
shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
For something cheap and that will actually work, I like Hydor Theo's from here. Good for 5 gallons and under usually and it's adjustable! Which means, if your Betta get's Ich, you can just crank the heat up to 86-88 and be done with it instead of using meds on him! Much less stressful in the end for him ^_^

But whatever you get, make sure it's adjustable. Pre-Set heaters are just a waste of cash and annoying to work with since you can't change the setting if you want it a little lower or a little hotter. It's worth it to spend a few extra bucks, but even with that Hydor Theo; it's practically cheaper than half the pre-set ones lol!
Lil - what size would you recommend for a Fluval Spec III with a total water volume of 3.65 gallons? I should really change my non-adjustables out for these you recommended.

I have 25w Nat Geo's in each of the Fluval's now and they hold steady at 78.

Last edited by shooter; 02-25-2015 at 10:32 PM.
shooter is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
spring water, tank, tap water, water