Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #1 
catsie

I want to use my extra Aqueon tank.

so i own three 2.5 minibows by Aqueon. I love these tanks, (maybe not the price tag) but im sold with the fact that it comes with a hood and lights. Filters i found to be a hit or miss.. and plan on replacing all the filters soon. I contacted Aqueon some time ago, asking if its possible for me to purchase a tank directly from them since the ones that are shipped to my house (when i order online on petco lets say) and the ones at the stores all have scuffs or some sort of cosmetic damage.. some worse than the others. Aqueon ended up sending me a tank. its clean, shiny, and... scratch/scuffless! but they sent me JUST the tank. I ended up keeping the slightly scuffed tank and now i have this empty 2.5 gallon tank... *___* you all know this is just a universe's sign of telling me i can get ONE more betta.. and ive have my heart set on a girl!!
Since this one doesnt have a lid.. I could just buy the light but i what about the lid? :C Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do / make for a lid for this tank? I cant find replacement parts anywhere.. i dont want to ask aqueon for it (its not even right xD ).. I considered buyng this thick clear plastic i once saw at an art store and filing it down to smooth /round out the edges (they can be a bit sharp)
but anyone have any other ideas?? (just not saran wrap pls)
catsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #2 
Lonely

Totally Saran Wrap!/Sarcasm
Lonely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #3 
Strawberry12

What about craft mesh? it's not particularly pretty, though.

Pop into Aqua Aurora's journal, I know there's something she uses to make lids that looks lovely, but I can't for the life of me think of what it's called....
Strawberry12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #4 
catsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry12 View Post

Pop into Aqua Aurora's journal, I know there's something she uses to make lids that looks lovely, but I can't for the life of me think of what it's called....
ooh, i totally should, XD i already know and love her cookie jar tank.. its so cute *_*
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

Could you just go to a glazier and get a lid cut for the tank? I went to a glazier to get a lid cut for one of my tanks.

Otherwise, perspex might be another option although it can bow over time.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:03 AM   #6 
catsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Could you just go to a glazier and get a lid cut for the tank? I went to a glazier to get a lid cut for one of my tanks.

Otherwise, perspex might be another option although it can bow over time.
hello wild betta owner!
anddddd, D: i didnt even know.. what a glazier was until i looked it up. and that would be awesome if i could.. Only problem is that i have absolutely no idea if something like that exists anywhere near my proximinity and i feel like if there was one.. it would be far out and $$$ I did check Aqua's glorious journal and i see that her lid concept for her cookie jar tank is similar to what i had in mind with the plastic.
I was hoping there would be easy DIY ways that looks decently nice.. Ideally id like to have it clear so I can have some lights on it
:C problematic..
Old Today, 06:11 AM   #7 
Strawberry12

Lowes will cut acrylic sheets as well, i'm looking into that for my shrimp tank (a HUGE vintage jar). I'm not sure if they only do squares or what, but it's worth looking into as well!

could always use craft mesh to hold you over until you find something.
Strawberry12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #8 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry12 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsie View Post
ooh, i totally should, XD i already know and love her cookie jar tank.. its so cute *_*
Its Polycarbinate, I use the brand Lexan sold at Home Depot. Thin acrylic tends to bow horribly from the humidity and warmth but polycarbonate stays rigid.. Here's a DIY post on the lids:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....27#post5347082

Thank you, i love my cookie jar too, so simple ^^ you an get one for $10 at walmart or I think $16 at Target (thats the prices around here at least). Amazon sells it too but they stupidly jack up the price.

No clue what they sell at Lowes my local store has idiots, could not find anything asked 3 employees got run around in circles and found nothing but an empty glass cutting station (no materials to cut near it) so I left. I prefer my local home depot to lowes- they're employees are actually concomitant and if they don't know the answer they know who to call up on the radio to get it.
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote