Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #1 
CanadaBased

Zoo Med Floating Betta Log smells toxic when wey

I bought a Zoo Med Floating Betta Log. I rinsed it as per instructions and noticed that it smells awful and toxic when wet. When it dried up, it didn't smell. Was going to go ahead and use it so filed down all the sharp bits (there were a lot near the feeding hole, some in the entry ways and some of the outer details were rather sharp too. Decided to do a second rinse after filing, still smells. Now I have it soaking with some charcoal filter media in treated water. Anyone else experience this? I'd soak it in vinegar but that might make the paint peel. Maybe that would be a good thing. I'm also thinking of coating it with clear fish safe paint cause I can no longer return it.
CanadaBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #2 
MikeG14

I have 2 ZooMed betta logs floating in my tanks, one of them for over a year and never noticed a smell. The paint will peel, there is no getting around that. Yours are probably from a different production run and perhaps they changed materials.

You can soak it for a few weeks until the smell disappears. Krylon Krsytal clear or fusion is aquarium safe, you can try coating it with that. Be sure to let it dry for about 5 days.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #3 
artemis35

+1 to Mike.

It's too bad if they have changed the quality of those floating logs, because they are very nice. It is true that the paint will peel to a degree, but I only ever noticed it when washing the log during a water change (no paint flakes in the tank).

I got one when (I think) they were a brand new item.
I put it in my betta's tank, where it remained, with him, until he died more than 5 years later. It was his favorite décor piece! In fact, my avatar picture is him inside that log last August (he died in March of this year).
artemis35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #4 
CanadaBased

Thanks! MikeG14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG14 View Post
I have 2 ZooMed betta logs floating in my tanks, one of them for over a year and never noticed a smell. The paint will peel, there is no getting around that. Yours are probably from a different production run and perhaps they changed materials.

You can soak it for a few weeks until the smell disappears. Krylon Krsytal clear or fusion is aquarium safe, you can try coating it with that. Be sure to let it dry for about 5 days.
That's really helpful! I will keep it soaking. If that doesn't help, then painting over it is! I find it so odd that so many of decorations sold for fish and specifically bettas are incredibly unsuitable for fish due to sharp edges and such
CanadaBased is offline   Reply With Quote