Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #1 
Misasky

Exclamation Algae is becoming the bane of my life!

I've got a 25 litre tank with a single male betta in. It's a gravel and silk plant tank (I would like to switch to a full planted one day but that's another story!) and I just can't seem to stop the growth of the brown/black algae on the plants and the big chunks of green algae in the gravel and on the tank sides. His light is on for about 10 hours a day.

I don't really fancy going down the chemical route, so does anyone have any advice for something that would make this more manageable?! A snail? Pleco?

Thank you in advance, if I can slow the growth of this stuff down, it would really help!
Misasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #2 
NorthernLights

A nerite snail is a champion algae eater -- they've been known to starve to death if they are in a tank with no algae, even when people supplement their food with algae wafers, etc. One little nerite can clean up a tank very effectively.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #3 
jeaninel

Try cutting back the light period to 7-8 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #4 
Misasky

I will cut the light down by a few hours and maybe look at getting a little snail. Although i'm worried he'll climb out!
Misasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #5 
TerriGtoo

yes, I agree with the light issue. Cut back on that. AND...if you have your tank anywhere near a window....move it farther away from the window. Windows are a huge reason why algae forms.....I know from experience.
I had a tank that had a constant algae problem....that yucky green slimy gunk that just covers eveything including the filter. I put a large handful of java moss in it and in about 2 months I no longer had an algae problem. A fellow aquarist suggested this to me and I was amzed at how well it worked. It must have sucked up all the nutrients that the algae thrived on.
I also tried nerite snails, and while they are great for the type of algae that grows on the sides of the tank, they refused to eat this other stuff.
TerriGtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:03 AM   #6 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Don't worry, aquatic snails cant live outside water. He wont be able to leave the tank.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote