Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #10121 
Clint

Hi All. I have a question about the suitability of my aquarium for my betta. It started out as moderately planted but once I reduce the water agitation my floating plants really took off - they multiplie and grew long tendrils that reach all the way to the bottom and grow into the substrate. I've removed a few, but I'm afraid he doesn't have enough room to navigate with his big fins. Should I take many plants out? Leave as is (it probably does need to be spruced up a little)? Any feedback would he appreciated! The tank is 20 gallons, Fluval C-3 HOB filter.
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #10122 
LittleBettaFish

Bettas actually like densely vegetated tanks as those are the kind of areas they would inhabit in the wild. They are not really open water fish.

I think that tank looks great for a betta and I am jealous of your floating plants!

Unless he is actually getting caught up or tangled in the plants, I would leave it how it is.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #10123 
Tree

My two three gallon tanks. =) each have two moss balls, a snail, and one betta.

Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #10124 
tlatch89

Tree your tanks are super clean! I like them.

I just added a piece of driftwood to my betta tank, snapped a pic.

tlatch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #10125 
Tree

thanks! 8D
I love your tank! I wish I could add in live plants but I do not have a green thumb. =( But I do have two Moss balls that are easy to take care of. LOKL
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #10126 
tlatch89

Is your betta friendly to the snail? I tried adding one a while back but my betta loved to attack it.
tlatch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #10127 
Tree

yup both of my betta don't seem to care about their snails. =) at first Aku (the blue one in bottom tank picked on my golden Mystery snail but after awhile he got bored of him and let him be.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #10128 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Bettas actually like densely vegetated tanks as those are the kind of areas they would inhabit in the wild. They are not really open water fish.

I think that tank looks great for a betta and I am jealous of your floating plants!

Unless he is actually getting caught up or tangled in the plants, I would leave it how it is.
This, also, be sure he has easy access to the surface for air.
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #10129 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
My two three gallon tanks. =) each have two moss balls, a snail, and one betta.

Tree, I'd be careful of that aqueon heater. I had that and then one day it just stopped working. (barely was used, too) Because there's no light on it, it took me a while to tell. I'd recommend having a backup on hand, or replace it. :/
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #10130 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylerwin View Post
Tree, I'd be careful of that aqueon heater. I had that and then one day it just stopped working. (barely was used, too) Because there's no light on it, it took me a while to tell. I'd recommend having a backup on hand, or replace it. :/
As long as there is a thermometer (which they do have) you should be able to tell when a heater stops working or malfunctions. If it's holding a nice steady temp, regardless of what that is, as long as it's in the range of 76-84 the fish will be fine. If it's wobbling around all the time or extremely low/high then yeah, there's probably something wrong.

One of a fish keepers daily rituals or even hourly rituals if you want, should be to check their thermometer to make sure their heater is working properly.

Also, I do also have that Aqueon heater and never had issues with it, but I know not all heater's are made equal. As with any heater, always watch the thermometer in case of issues, even Eheim heaters can have issues :-/
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank