Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #1061 
secuono

I'm not understanding why people do not fill their tanks to the top.
They can hold water even to the very top, past the black trim,
unless the tank is from unknown origins or damaged.
This little bit of added water may not seem like a lot to you,
but to a fish, it's like a whole new yard to play in.
It really does add up, do the math! ^.^

Old 04-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #1062 
TeenyTinyTofu

My tanks are not filled up because of the type of filter I am using.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #1063 
secuono

Tofu's tank looks like it has a HOB filter, which would mean you could fill it to the black trim at least.
I have my 55gallon tank with 3 HOBs running, filled to the black frames inner lip. That would be about half an inch from the very edge. ^.^
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #1064 
decamptownlady

Kimchi
decamptownlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #1065 
rlw

I don't have mine filled to the top because I simply don't like them that way...lol
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #1066 
Tinthalas Tigris

If bubble nests are a sign of betta happiness, then my male betta enjoys a lower water line. I keep it an inch from the black rim. He makes a new bubble nest about every week.

My flowering plants bloom better as well. They create larger blossoms, having more room to bloom in.

I do think it is sort of a personal preference for how it looks, not having it go all the way to the top, but although I used to have my tanks all filled to the top of the glass, I'm beginning to like more, the vivarium approach to larger tanks, and am considering having a much lower waterline, and having terrestrial and arboreal animals make up some of it as well.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #1067 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
If bubble nests are a sign of betta happiness, then my male betta enjoys a lower water line. I keep it an inch from the black rim. He makes a new bubble nest about every week.

My flowering plants bloom better as well. They create larger blossoms, having more room to bloom in.

I do think it is sort of a personal preference for how it looks, not having it go all the way to the top, but although I used to have my tanks all filled to the top of the glass, I'm beginning to like more, the vivarium approach to larger tanks, and am considering having a much lower waterline, and having terrestrial and arboreal animals make up some of it as well.
I agree with TT here. In my experience, bettas seem happiest in 12 inches or less of water, and I personally prefer to keep it to approx. 6-8 inches. I've had more success in this level than with anything higher than that.

Even without that experience, it's wise to use lower water levels for fish who are known to jump, as bettas are.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #1068 
doggyhog

In my tanks that have hoods, I cannot stand if the water is not all the way tot the top. LOL

I'm a little OCD sometimes....
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #1069 
TeenyTinyTofu

Yes, Tofu has a HOB filter. And I have it rigged to smooth out the water flow. Filling it to the top would mess up the way I have it set up.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #1070 
soleilvie

Well, while I'm bored waiting for my tank to cycle (going on two weeks now, no progress) I thought I would take another picture of my fishless tank! I made a thread about it awhile ago but it looks better now -- no bubbles! I moved the thermometer to the other side and didn't notice the residue until the next day (you can see this round ugliness in the picture). I was going to get it off when I do the big water change at the end of the cycle. Think it will come off just with a cloth and some water?

soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank