Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #10791 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well I also want to comment on the "1 inch per gallon", that's completely wrong in most cases. The normal Betta is usually around 1.5-2 inches (not including tail of course) and yet people keep them in 1 gallon tanks and smaller....Goldfish on the other hand get around 5-7 inches but you wouldn't keep it in a 10 gallon fish tank. Why? Because Goldfish are extreme poopers basically, they poop like there is no tomorrow and it's not just because they poop but their ammonia is actually very toxic which means it can kill itself with it's own poop. This is why most people who put goldfish in anything smaller than 20 gallons per fish, the fish ends up dead before it's actual time and then they wonder why their fish dies.

Each type of fish has it's own bio-load (how much ammonia it puts out) and so the 1 inch per gallon "rule" is null and void and should not be used IMHO. It's a nice little thing for starting off but it promotes the wrong idea.

Again, I'm not trying to berate anyone but trying to inform and educate. I wish the best for everyone's fish and their tanks and some things should just not be done. Not because I say so but because years and years of fish keeping have come up with these things for us to use.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #10792 
AndyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
And to lay this out for you, take a look at this: http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?A...rchMode=simple

I even inserted a 15 gallon rather than a 14 gallon that you have. It's not just about space but the fact that these fish are just not compatible at all. ESPECIALLY male and female Bettas together.
That's a great website for information, thanks. I'm not keen on the tiger barb or the molly's, when they go they wont be replaced. I do appreciate all the information you have given mate, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
Nice looking tank. Lots of hiding places.
They say 1 inch of fish for every gal. But, if it's doing fine, it's doing fine. It's up to you and no one else. Just watch your ammonia level.
Thanks Mart, Well in the 2 years we have had the tank the community haven't been a problem, apart from the red tipped shark which was real aggressive he soon went to the local aquatic shop for re-homing.
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #10793 
mart

Quote:
Well I also want to comment on the "1 inch per gallon", that's completely wrong in most cases. The normal Betta is usually around 1.5-2 inches (not including tail of course) and yet people keep them in 1 gallon tanks and smaller....Goldfish on the other hand get around 5-7 inches but you wouldn't keep it in a 10 gallon fish tank. Why? Because Goldfish are extreme poopers basically, they poop like there is no tomorrow and it's not just because they poop but their ammonia is actually very toxic which means it can kill itself with it's own poop. This is why most people who put goldfish in anything smaller than 20 gallons per fish, the fish ends up dead before it's actual time and then they wonder why their fish dies.

Each type of fish has it's own bio-load (how much ammonia it puts out) and so the 1 inch per gallon "rule" is null and void and should not be used IMHO. It's a nice little thing for starting off but it promotes the wrong idea.

Again, I'm not trying to berate anyone but trying to inform and educate. I wish the best for everyone's fish and their tanks and some things should just not be done. Not because I say so but because years and years of fish keeping have come up with these things for us to use.
If you read it, I said, "They Say"
I usually don't put more than 5 fish in a 10 gal tank. But the 1 fish, or 1 inch per gal has always been the standard when asking about it, doesn't mean I do it.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #10794 
mart

Thanks Mart, Well in the 2 years we have had the tank the community haven't been a problem, apart from the red tipped shark which was real aggressive he soon went to the local aquatic shop for re-homing.[/quote]

Well if it's been 2 years, I think you have a handle on it all. Continued Good Luck!
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #10795 
Joey Fish

How do you attach Pictures?
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #10796 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Fish View Post
How do you attach Pictures?
There are a few different ways; you can upload to an image hosting site like photobucket, flickr, or imageshack and they have a forum option that you copy and paste into the text box here.

OR

you can click "go advanced" and there is a little paper clip icon on the top of your text box next the smiley face there. You click that and it brings up a pop up window where you can browse your folders for the picture you want, upload it and it immediately attaches it at the end of your post. If you want to put it in the middle of your post, after you upload it you go back to the paper clip icon and click the down arrow, click on your image name and it will post it into the text box.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #10797 
rawxy

rawxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #10798 
carlos puron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawxy View Post
I love that tank looks awesome nice work :)
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #10799 
carlos puron

Quote:
Hmm, it is difficult to say. The body shape screams male to me but ventrals say female. I've known some males to have short ventrals though, all depends on breeding so I'm not terribly sure, I would need a clearer pic, preferably just after he/she has eaten a good meal to see if there are any ovaries behind the stomach to be seen the shape of.

The white spot/egg spot/ovipositer can be a fake one, males will have fake ones to try to fool other fish and whatnot and to confuse us of course. Some lose them after maturity while others keep them through their life. Sometimes also males won't be prompted to make nests if they don't care much for breeding, I had one male who turned out to be sort of gay but I loved him. He did make a huge bubble nest when he first came home but after that he didn't care to make one even if he was situated next to a male or a female, he didn't care lol.

So what I'm saying is it's all up in the air until I find those ovaries .
Hey i got a couple of extra pics just after dinner hoping it helps and I'm uploading a video to see if that helps she doesn't stay still when im trying to get a pic I'll post the link once it's loaded
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #10800 
carlos puron

Couldn't upload the other sorry

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank