Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 AM   #10891 
ngoll598

Betta tank

This is my setup. I just got this guy a few days ago and had him in a 1 gallon. Needless to say I felt I should spoil my fish and $130 later I was satisfied. I had betta fish when I was younger but always had them in vases. They were happy but not nearly as happy as this guy was when he got his new home. I still need a filter and I'm debating whether to do a diy sponge filter or just buy one because this tanks filter that came with was too powerful. Also I'm so excited to get back into this hobby and want to make a planted tank when summer comes around and I can dig fertile soil out of the swamp in my woods and also want to try growing some local plants in my tank just to see how it goes. I'm just so excited over everything and I'm glad to jump back in and glad to be part of this community.
Attached Images

ngoll598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #10892 
NozzALa

Just redid my Fluval Spec, it really needed an overhaul. Cleaned it thoroughly, went to black sand which is much better looking, and got a new ornament. I'm liking the look so far.

http://i.imgur.com/cNvuD9I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KadvWcb.jpg
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #10893 
Faye

@ngoll598: your tank looks like a betta's dream. does he have any tankmates? amano shrimp (the big females spefically) make good tank mates and are fun to watch.

@nozzala: your tank looks so chic! gorgeous faux plants!
Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #10894 
ngoll598

No, no tank mates yet. I want to get a filter before that. And yeah he likes it but every type of food I try giving him he chews a little and spits out. Idk what they were feeding him at petco but it must have been way better than everything I've tried so far lol
ngoll598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #10895 
Neecy

Sebastians Home

Neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #10896 
Scubakrat

This is my new baby boy, Scuba Steve, in his 10 gallon! :D
Scubakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #10897 
Tree

my tank update: the plants are growing great! =D

Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:58 AM   #10898 
Cerulean

It looks like mopani wood to me as well and I had a bunch of it in my 55 gallon. When you put it in did it leave the water slightly stained for quite a while? It lessons after a while as it leaches out but is quite evident at first. As you mentioned also it is usually quite dense and has more round edges and is more branch like than a straighter lighter piece of driftwood. Mopani wood is good for that as it puts out natural tannins (dark circles in water, specifically desired by brackish fish) which coincidentally a betta would love.

Very nice setup. I am jealous though it is probably the size (or I just have a really cranky betta who doesn't want to share his house) but my Cerulean did not tolerate his tank mates. He is on a 2.5g and I got him a ghost shrimp and a golden snail. Well the shrimp was in 3 pieces, one of which was his head in the morning (so gross) and the snail was tortured continuously for about week and knocked around so much he was never able to come out of his shell and one day just never came out again. so the conclusion was he likes being a bachelor. I am not sure about my other boy Calypso and whether I should even bother trying, I think the tank is too small and they get very attached to all of it and especially the hiding places in the logs and under stuff where shrimp also like to hide. Thoughts?
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #10899 
Rollo

Blondie in his new home

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #10900 
Faye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
It looks like mopani wood to me as well and I had a bunch of it in my 55 gallon. When you put it in did it leave the water slightly stained for quite a while? It lessons after a while as it leaches out but is quite evident at first. As you mentioned also it is usually quite dense and has more round edges and is more branch like than a straighter lighter piece of driftwood. Mopani wood is good for that as it puts out natural tannins (dark circles in water, specifically desired by brackish fish) which coincidentally a betta would love.

Very nice setup. I am jealous though it is probably the size (or I just have a really cranky betta who doesn't want to share his house) but my Cerulean did not tolerate his tank mates. He is on a 2.5g and I got him a ghost shrimp and a golden snail. Well the shrimp was in 3 pieces, one of which was his head in the morning (so gross) and the snail was tortured continuously for about week and knocked around so much he was never able to come out of his shell and one day just never came out again. so the conclusion was he likes being a bachelor. I am not sure about my other boy Calypso and whether I should even bother trying, I think the tank is too small and they get very attached to all of it and especially the hiding places in the logs and under stuff where shrimp also like to hide. Thoughts?
the wood in my tank did stain the water. Because of that I always let my wood soak in hot water for two days (dunk it in a bucket, at hot water and when the water is cold and stained replace it) to get rid of worst staining. I know betta's like darker water which is exactly why I want wood in my betta tank.

I think in a bigger tank with lots of plants your betta will leave the other animals alone. I got a shrimphouse specifically for the shrimp so they can hide from the betta if they need to. My betta also grew in a community tank so that really helped too. But I've been lately gotten the feeling that my betta gets stressed out by my endler guppies. I set up a new tank (a smaller 7 gallon) to see if he is happier alone or not. If you got your betta in a cup I think he might prefer to be alone, but a 2.5 gallon isn't much, so I think if you'd get a bigger tank (a 10 gallon) you would be able to keep other fish or shrimp with him.
Faye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank