Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #11021 
Kiley320

Attached Images

Kiley320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #11022 
AlgarveblueVT

Thumbs up new look betta bowl home

so just done a 100% water change:
water temp 25c/ 77F
Ammonia= 0.25ppm
PH= 7.6

Its nice clean and ready.
heres some pics

AlgarveblueVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #11023 
mtlister

mtlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #11024 
RockChalk

I updated the filter for my Aqueon Evolve2. I purchased the AquaClear BioMax and Foam (both in the 20 size). I put the BioMax bag on the back of the filter chamber with a foam in front of it. I cut the foam in half depth-wise because it was too thick. Plus, doing that doubles the number of foams I have when I need them. It didn't go all the way across so I cut a portion of the 2nd halved foam off to complete the width.

Doing this should substantially increase my bioload. Although the filter cartridge the Evolve2 comes with would work, they are wafer thin and only contain a few pieces of charcoal that would cash out in a week anyway. Since I use DI water from my lab at work (I'm a biochemist), I don't have the normal chemicals that the charcoal is meant for, so I'm not big on worrying about the chemical filtration stage for my water.
Attached Images

RockChalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #11025 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
I updated the filter for my Aqueon Evolve2. I purchased the AquaClear BioMax and Foam (both in the 20 size). I put the BioMax bag on the back of the filter chamber with a foam in front of it. I cut the foam in half depth-wise because it was too thick. Plus, doing that doubles the number of foams I have when I need them. It didn't go all the way across so I cut a portion of the 2nd halved foam off to complete the width.

Doing this should substantially increase my bioload. Although the filter cartridge the Evolve2 comes with would work, they are wafer thin and only contain a few pieces of charcoal that would cash out in a week anyway. Since I use DI water from my lab at work (I'm a biochemist), I don't have the normal chemicals that the charcoal is meant for, so I'm not big on worrying about the chemical filtration stage for my water.
Very nice, I do this with all of my HOBs as well too!

Although it doesn't increase your bioload but the amount of bioload your filter can handle, at least in the dissolved section. There are still other factors that can limit your tank stocking ability such as how much o2 is in the water or being generated, how much water flow in general there is, still needed to do regular water changes to get rid of non-dissolved organic compounds of course. But otherwise, it is a nice little upgrade to your filter!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #11026 
Dimirs mommy

Dimirs updated tank and shin's tank

10 gallon Dimir's tank
Name:  005.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  78.2 KB
3 gallon Shin's tank ( Getting him a 5 gallon tomorrow and may come home with another betta I saw yesterday he was a real sweetie.
Attached Images

Dimirs mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #11027 
RockChalk

Sorry, to clarify: by "bioload" I mean the actual number of bacterial cells in my filtration system, not the livestock in the tank (which numbers only one). Probably the wrong word.
RockChalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #11028 
abettalady

Rogue's 8 gallon tank. I just upgraded him from a 3 gallon so he's enjoying all the extra room!

abettalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #11029 
myexplodingcat

Smile

I just have one little guy in a 1.7 gal desktop tank. I got him a few days ago! He likes hiding behind the filter and under the java fern! I don't know where he is in this picture, actually. He's somewhere in there.

His name is tentatively Felix, and he's supposed to be a mustard gas half-moon, but if he is a HM, I think he used to bite his tail at the pet store. We'll see if he keeps doing it. Maybe his tail will grow to be as fluffy as his fins!
Attached Images

myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #11030 
Scubakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubakrat View Post
This is my new baby boy, Scuba Steve, in his 10 gallon! :D

UPDATE:

I've had Scuba for 3 months now and his tank has gotten a makeover!
He seems to like it very much!

(There he is, scoping me out near the bottom like a creeper!) xD
Scubakrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank