Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #1291 
fleetfish

Luthien's 2.5g tank :

Now if only I had a Yellow Submarine!

Last edited by fleetfish; 07-23-2010 at 05:28 PM.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #1292 
JosShavaughn

This is my new little boy, Zombie. I haven't had a betta in YEARS. I needed a little companion, so I went and bought him today.

#1:
Zombie in his PetSense home.

#2:
Zombie in transition.

#3:
Zombie in his new (but temporary) home.

I didn't really do any research before I bought him, which I should have. I just thought you bought the fish, something you could afford to put it in, and some food and that was that. After a few lectures, I went and got special drops for him. He's currently in distilled water, but next time I'll use tap water w/ the special drops.

Whenever I get my next check I'm going to buy him a new tank (between 3.5-5 gallons) hopefully w/ a light and filter, and a heater, and some decorations. So no one freak out that I have him in such a small home. Zombie and I like to consider it an efficiency before he upgrades to a house. I was going to get a 10 gallon, but that's a mansion compared to what he has now. I think I'll go for smaller and see how he adjusts to that first.
Attached Images

JosShavaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #1293 
Lion Mom

Zombie is a VERY good looking fellow! Sure hope he gets a bigger home soon!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #1294 
JosShavaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Zombie is a VERY good looking fellow! Sure hope he gets a bigger home soon!!! :)
I've posted on the local craigslist and freecycle for a bigger tank (hopefully w/ a light and filter) as well as a heater. I spent almost all the money I have on Zombie today. Zombie doesn't seem too happy in such a small home, but I think he will understand that it's just temporary until I can either find someone to give me a bigger tank, or until the 1st when I can buy him one. Whichever comes first.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #1295 
Lion Mom

Good luck to you!!!

To be honest, I don't blame Zombie one bit for being unhappy in that. I own a piece of glass like that & use it as a candle holder!!!

Even if you had a large glass vase sitting around it would be better than what he is in, IMO. Hey, it's the week-end - hit some garage/yard sales!!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #1296 
JosShavaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Good luck to you!!!

To be honest, I don't blame Zombie one bit for being unhappy in that. I own a piece of glass like that & use it as a candle holder!!!

Even if you had a large glass vase sitting around it would be better than what he is in, IMO. Hey, it's the week-end - hit some garage/yard sales!!!!

Calm down! I didn't know! The last time I owned a betta I was like 5 and I didn't really do anything w/ it, my parents took care of it. I can't afford to buy Zombie another thing right now. He'll just have to wait until someone responds to my freecycle or craigslist, or until the 1st when I can afford something bigger. The only alternative I have for him is a drinking glass! I actually had to go buy that vase he's in now this morning to give him something to live in. I'm a 24 year old college student (single at that) how many vases do you think I have laying around? None! The last time I got flowers they got a drinking glass as a vase!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #1297 
Lion Mom

Ok then.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #1298 
XSprinkleFaceX

The first is almost here. As long as you keep up with your water changes than he should be ok until you get the new tank. :)
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #1299 
Neelie

^^^^ chill folks. he'll be grand if the water is kept clean.
still bigger than the cups in the shops...
@jos; just keep his water clean and he'll be fine until you
get something bigger. id recommend a background for 3 sides
of the vase and a lid. it'll stop him jumping out and the
background will help him relax. as a background you can use a
darker towel or something of that kind. no panic.

well, since most of my fish died due to an unidentified caus i decided to scrap the divided tank... salmon and maehk are in 2.6g critter keepers with heaters... it'll stay like that as they do best in them. chillie has moved into a lovely 5g tank with light, heater, filter and all mod cons. he's doing great.

my sorority is unchanged and the girls are growing and growing.

pippo, draco, ghost; RIP... much loved...

set up now;
chillie's 5g

salmon and maehk
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #1300 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosShavaughn View Post
Calm down! I didn't know! The last time I owned a betta I was like 5 and I didn't really do anything w/ it, my parents took care of it. I can't afford to buy Zombie another thing right now. He'll just have to wait until someone responds to my freecycle or craigslist, or until the 1st when I can afford something bigger. The only alternative I have for him is a drinking glass! I actually had to go buy that vase he's in now this morning to give him something to live in. I'm a 24 year old college student (single at that) how many vases do you think I have laying around? None! The last time I got flowers they got a drinking glass as a vase!

Hope Zombie is doing ok this morning.

Look, we are just here trying to help you. We do not profit at all from being here posting our own experiences & what we have learned over the years. Ask yourself this - who profits if you have trouble? The forum members who want to see you & Zombie do well together or the pet shop that is there to sell you stuff and/or a new fish? Answer that & you will KNOW who is telling you the right way to do things.

How would I know what you have - or don't have - in your apartment? It was just a suggestion.

Ok, I am going to tell you what I think you should do for the time being. Please accept it in the spirit it is intended, OK?

Water Changes - Daily in that size container. Get a gallon milk jug (or something), fill it with water & let it sit for 24 hours to get the temperature the same as his container. The chlorine in the tap water will dissipate in 24 hours, but still use the dechlorinater drops to neutralize heavy metals in the water. Put Zombie back in his cup he came in with some of his water, dump the rest of the old water out of his vase and rinse everything with lukewarm water. Refill with your new (aged) water, acclimate Zombie to the new water, net him (if you have a net) and put him back in his vase. You HAVE to do this every single day, IMO, to get rid of the ammonia he creates via droppings & other nasties.

Feeding - Since Zombie does not have a ton of room in his "house" right now, I would personally only feed him 3/4 pellets three times a week. Bettas are PIGS and will overeat if given the chance leading to constipation and/or bloat.

As far as my suggestion of going to some yard sales goes - I was thinking that you may be able to find a large glass container, vase, or even a 1 - 2 gallon fish bowl for under a buck. Another couple good places to look for that kind of stuff is Goodwill and St. Vincent DePaul's. They usually have TONS of glass stuff for super cheap.

Hope things are going well for the two of you & hope this helps.

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, tank