Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #1361 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearlFish View Post
Okay this is my boy Spartan's tank

i dont see anything:(
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 AM   #1362 
RKbusy

Hehe. Thanks for the compliment.

Drakon's tank contained java fern, 2 Marimo balls, and some dwarf hairgrass... but I took out the hairgrass, because it wasn't looking too happy. I moved most of it to the new tank which is getting basically 12 hour light right now. It's already looking perkier. ^_^ To compensate, Drakon now has a very pretty Lutea plant.

Manny's tank contains 1 Marimo ball and java fern.

Helio's tank is just driftwood, Christmas moss and 1 Marimo ball.

The new tank... is... well... just the dwarf hairgrass and 1 Marimo ball.
RKbusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #1363 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKbusy View Post
Hehe. Thanks for the compliment.

Drakon's tank contained java fern, 2 Marimo balls, and some dwarf hairgrass... but I took out the hairgrass, because it wasn't looking too happy. I moved most of it to the new tank which is getting basically 12 hour light right now. It's already looking perkier. ^_^ To compensate, Drakon now has a very pretty Lutea plant.

Manny's tank contains 1 Marimo ball and java fern.

Helio's tank is just driftwood, Christmas moss and 1 Marimo ball.

The new tank... is... well... just the dwarf hairgrass and 1 Marimo ball.
Cool! =D So it's dwarf Hairgrass! =D I love it! Do you use any fertilizers? Also how do you keep your tanks lit? I was considering a Critter Tote but I don't know how to keep it lit. And also do you know if I can put any kind of wood in my tank or can it only be drift wood from the petstore?
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #1364 
Sicklidae

No, you can't use any kind of wood, it will rot. Driftwood is expensive for a reason
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #1365 
SilverCaracal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklidae View Post
No, you can't use any kind of wood, it will rot. Driftwood is expensive for a reason
Can you get driftwood from any lps such as Petsmart?
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #1366 
Sicklidae

Not any, but a few do carry driftwood. One of the Petcos near me sells it, while the other near me does not. Petsmart, I've never seen them carry it. The places I see it the most are the stores that are exclusively a fish store, or one of the small pet stores that is really serious about fish. You can get it online too. I don't buy anything online though, I have no cards lol
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #1367 
Drift

I bought my driftwood from Petco, they where pieces in their tank and he told me 9-15$ for a small to medium sized piece and they ended up being 88 cents. Ha! I had to push the guy to sell them. I told him I already wanted mine water logged, I didn't want a rainbow rock, I didn't want to soak it for weeks to get most the tannin out. He realized soon after I knew what I wanted.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #1368 
wallywestisthebest333

Aw man. =[ I was gonna dig up an awesome root and make a tree in an aquascape. =[

NICE Drift! Hope I can do that. So what kind of wood is drift wood exactly?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #1369 
RKbusy

OHOH! Don't use any kind of wood in your tank! Back when I had no fish and was just working on a decorative jar with live water plants, I was lazy and used a tree branch that I had boiled to death and then dried out (baked). It STILL rotted. And it was GROSS. White Gooey stuff all over the place.

I got my driftwood from Big Al's, I think here they charge $4.99 per pound. I know that SOME PetSmarts will sell it. It's with the rest of the aquarium decorations, but it looks like shrink-wrapped chunks of brown stuff. And it is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I'm also found it at small independent pet stores, and just random people online selling it.

I just use Flourish Excel (not everyday... even though the instructions say I should >.<). As for lighting... lol... just cheap second-hand store desk lamps with low wattage bulbs. It's not very pretty looking... nor is it very pro... And I STILL get lots of evaporation, so I'm usually topping off every tank every day.

Oh. And I should mention, during the summer, my lamps are also like... my heaters. As you can see from some of the pictures, when the temperature is already warm out, the lights keep the water at really consistent 80-ish degrees... You gotta watch out for nights though... and when winter comes...

It IS a little annoying with the critter totes that the lids are always so dark >.< I just make sure the lamp is pointed directly at that little clear spot in the middle of the tote. Either that, or it shines in sort of side-ways?

Oh gosh, I just revealed how incredibly amateur I am at all this...
RKbusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #1370 
wallywestisthebest333

Don't worry I wont use regular wood. XD Thus the disappointment. =[ XD LOL.

Cool! =] You don't sound amature at this! You sound like you took a lot of time thinking and planning this all out! =]

I was thinking that's how I'd do it! =] I'll try to pick up a cheap desk lamp at walmart if I decide to get another tank! =] It's gonna be a challenge finding low watt fluorescent bulbs that;ll fit though! XD At least I've got a good idea of filters I can use and stuff. =]

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank