Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #1381 
Lion Mom

Why thank you, Welsh! They are still fairly young so hopefully they will grow some.

No idea on the plant except it's a phony bologna - LOL!!! I don't have enough live plants to fill all the tanks I have, so I fill in with silk ones. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #1382 
Welsh

It looks real most of the plants I have I grow in the 4 gallon and then snip them to put in other tanks, they always end up back in Clark Gable's tank though cause that has the best light and the only place they don't die lol. The only thing I am dreading is cleaning the gravel, the thought of taking everything out and then putting it all back in kills me lol.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #1383 
Lion Mom

Thanks - I try to pick ones that look reasonably real. :)

So far I have had good luck will pretty much all the plants I have purchased. Of course, I only get easy, low light, low tech plants!!! I'm more into the fish rather than the aquascaping, per se. Although, some of those types of tanks are absolutely AMAZING!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #1384 
doggyhog

Very nice tank Lion Mom! Watch that Angel though.. Sometimes they are aggressive towards bettas.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #1385 
Lion Mom

Thank you!

I know - I love my angels, but they CAN be sassy at times!!!

Believe me, I am watching that tank like a HAWK. Lots of hidey holes for the girls the angels are too big to get into, so I'm hoping that will help. :)

To be honest, I am AMAZED I didn't lose anybody after adding NINE new fish all at once to that tank!!! Of course, adding an extra filter with seeded sponges probably helped a bunch - not to mention the extra water changes!!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #1386 
doggyhog

Sounds good! You know what your doing. :) Just making sure.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #1387 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Sounds good! You know what your doing. :) Just making sure.
Thanks - I try. I also try to KEEP learning - that's important, IMO. I think when a person THINKS they know it all is when they run into trouble.

Believe me, I was scared to death to put the girls in that tank, but I didn't have a choice. I sure as heck couldn't put them in with my African cichlids!!!

The angels in that tank seem more interested in each other than any of the other fish - let's just hope it stays that way!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #1388 
noenyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKbusy View Post
OHOH! Don't use any kind of wood in your tank! Back when I had no fish and was just working on a decorative jar with live water plants, I was lazy and used a tree branch that I had boiled to death and then dried out (baked). It STILL rotted. And it was GROSS. White Gooey stuff all over the place.

I got my driftwood from Big Al's, I think here they charge $4.99 per pound. I know that SOME PetSmarts will sell it. It's with the rest of the aquarium decorations, but it looks like shrink-wrapped chunks of brown stuff. And it is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I'm also found it at small independent pet stores, and just random people online selling it.

I just use Flourish Excel (not everyday... even though the instructions say I should >.<). As for lighting... lol... just cheap second-hand store desk lamps with low wattage bulbs. It's not very pretty looking... nor is it very pro... And I STILL get lots of evaporation, so I'm usually topping off every tank every day.

Oh. And I should mention, during the summer, my lamps are also like... my heaters. As you can see from some of the pictures, when the temperature is already warm out, the lights keep the water at really consistent 80-ish degrees... You gotta watch out for nights though... and when winter comes...

It IS a little annoying with the critter totes that the lids are always so dark >.< I just make sure the lamp is pointed directly at that little clear spot in the middle of the tote. Either that, or it shines in sort of side-ways?

Oh gosh, I just revealed how incredibly amateur I am at all this...

Can driftwood found at the beach or a lake be used?
noenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #1389 
Sarada

I think it would float.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #1390 
Drift

Yes, it would float. You can screw it to a rock or something heavy and bury it under your gravel. Make sure you sterilize it first though. I don't think beach driftwood would be the greatest idea due to the salt in it though.
We have some river driftwood in the 20g community tank downstairs. It's nail to a rock to keep it from floating to the top.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank