Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #1741 
nomoretickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnleaf View Post
are we allowed to use rocks from outside if we scrub them and wash them with water? What if I boiled them??? I just think the natural (and FREE) look is nice. lol
My school has a huge bank of big gravel rocks that I pick from (the kind that are like $8 a rock at stores). I scrubbed them down in scalding hot water for a few min each before I put them in my tank. If you have the means to boil them that is best.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #1742 
ThePearlFish

Man! everyone is making me want to change out my blue gravel and go for a natural looking substrate. nice tanks guys! :)
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #1743 
nomoretickets

i have heard that the blue gravel lets loose some kind of contaminant after a good period of time that can kill your fish (this is from a random lady at petsmart so take it with a grain or two of salt). i dont know if its true or not, but either way, i think natural looking substrate looks the best
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #1744 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoretickets View Post
i have heard that the blue gravel lets loose some kind of contaminant after a good period of time that can kill your fish (this is from a random lady at petsmart so take it with a grain or two of salt). i dont know if its true or not, but either way, i think natural looking substrate looks the best
I like natural as well, but I went with black rocks. maybe I will switch soon.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #1745 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityKitty View Post
Thanks! I have Anubias barteri, Anubias hastifolia, Italian Vals, Wisteria, Pennywort, anacharis, and Bacopa Monnieri.
You have a really nice tank. Im gonna have to get some of those anubias - they are really nice looking. What kind of substrate is that? it looks very nice.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #1746 
GravityKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
You have a really nice tank. Im gonna have to get some of those anubias - they are really nice looking. What kind of substrate is that? it looks very nice.
Thanks! My substrate is AquariumPlant's Own. My only issue with my anubias are that they have a hard time staying down at first. I have a couple of them tied to rocks that are under the substrate
GravityKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #1747 
Apocalypse

Hello all. I'm new to the forums. Just picked up my first betta recently so I thought I'd join and post up some pictures of my goodies.

Ten gallon tank for the betta (and maybe some tankmates later, also going to live plant this one soon)

He likes to hang around the filter a lot

My 55 gallon cichlid tank

Only three fish in here right now, and they're all little babies

Black Convict cichlid

Jack Dempsey Cichlid

High-fin Spotted Pleco

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of me hand-feeding the pleco

I've been keeping cichlids for a few years now, but I'm relatively new to the betta world. I've read and noticed already that they aren't too fond of currents created by the filter, and I've noticed in this thread that many of you have baffled your filters with sponges. Any insight on how to go about doing this (type of sponge, how to secure it, etc.)? I have an Aqueon 10 power filter, and it seems ridiculously calm compared to the one on my 55gal, but he still doesn't seem to like it too much.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 11-03-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #1748 
Fawnleaf

Today, I saw my library had a chiclid (?) tank, and I know nothing about chichlids, but I do know that that tank is grossly overcrowded. :/ It made me really mad! Even my friend, who knows nothing about fish in general knows that it's just not right. x(
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #1749 
GravityKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
Hello all. I'm new to the forums. Just picked up my first betta recently so I thought I'd join and post up some pictures of my goodies.

Ten gallon tank for the betta (and maybe some tankmates later, also going to live plant this one soon)

He likes to hang around the filter a lot

My 55 gallon cichlid tank

Only three fish in here right now, and they're all little babies

Black Convict cichlid

Jack Dempsey Cichlid

High-fin Spotted Pleco

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of me hand-feeding the pleco

I've been keeping cichlids for a few years now, but I'm relatively new to the betta world. I've read and noticed already that they aren't too fond of currents created by the filter, and I've noticed in this thread that many of you have baffled your filters with sponges. Any insight on how to go about doing this (type of sponge, how to secure it, etc.)? I have an Aqueon 10 power filter, and it seems ridiculously calm compared to the one on my 55gal, but he still doesn't seem to like it too much.
I use a sponge that are usually put into filters. I just secure it onto the water output with a rubber band. These sponges come in a lot of sizes and they're easy to find at any pet store.
GravityKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #1750 
Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnleaf View Post
Today, I saw my library had a chiclid (?) tank, and I know nothing about chichlids, but I do know that that tank is grossly overcrowded. :/ It made me really mad! Even my friend, who knows nothing about fish in general knows that it's just not right. x(

It's pretty common for people to overcrowd cichlid tanks. I've seen it way too many times. My old tank setup had 6 cichlids, 2 needlefish, and a pleco, and even that felt overchrowded to me. I plan on putting two or three more in later on, plus a second pleco, and that's it. I'd also like to put an electric blue lobster in before the cichlids get too big. I had one in my last tank and he mysteriously disappeared
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank